Thread: Winterton / Champagne Lane / Bergville

Default Winterton / Champagne Lane / Bergville

Howzit fellows,

Opportunity to go to this area for the weekend just popped up.

I see there are some streams (Sterkspruit, Nkwankwa) in the area and it would seem like
    there are stillwaters. This is near the Drakensberg Sun.

Anybody have some quick tips on where to fish here ?

TIA,

-B
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Blog Entries

I know of a place with some Scalies near there
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Don't tease me b!tch !

What? I already said thanks for the SBS of the small baitfish profile fly, what more can I do ?

i've only fished the bit of the sterk spruit that flows through champagne sports resort and the outflow stream from the Drakesberg Sun (not sure what its called), there are some trout (rainbows) but its a pretty marginal trout stream. I've heard from some people that had better fishing up towards Champaign Castle / Monks Cowl. The Drakensberg Sun dam is nice (stocked trout & Bass). An of course Bell Park dam is close (Bass). Best fishing in the area is probably lower down the sterk for scalies i would say ...
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

You can fish at the Drakensberg Sun dam for trout. If you are willing to drive about 90km, go to Injisuthi. Should be worth it.

I have had some pretty fun river fishing in this area, not sure of the name but there is a river that runs from the Drakensberg Sun down past Champagne Sports resort, its a pretty big stretch of river that holds trout! If you are driving towards Champagne Sports (R600) you carry on past it, you eventually go over a small bridge, if you turn right you will be going up to Drak Sun. I would say the best place to enter the river is at this spot, there is about 5kms of water between the entry point and the Drak Sun!

I am not sure how much rain they have had, this river could be pretty thin at this time of year.

In terms of Stillwaters I don't know any proper waters in this area, most of them that I have fished would be more along the lines of stocky bashing, not your typical trophy Natal trout. Hopefully there is someone who knows a bit more then me!

Hope that helps!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Don't tease me b!tch !

What? I already said thanks for the SBS of the small baitfish profile fly, what more can I do ?
    Just throwing some ideas at you...
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Thanks for all the info chaps ... hopefully will have a chance to get into a fish and also to introduce two young lads to the fly fishing experience.

Will let you guys know how it went.

Just thought I'd post an update on this :

So Saturday morning was a non event, we managed to get out of the house (two eager young chaps in toe) around 12 or so, and at that stage the thermometer was registering 36 Deg C, yep ... you read right, 36 Celsius, with an insane wind.

I'm known to fish in crazy weather, but this wind was howling in the region of 50-60kph in gusts with an average of 40-50kph continuously, so we opted to take a detour to Bell Park dam (beware, Crocodiles) The dam entrance was locked, so managed to find an "alternative" route to the water, we just had to engage in a little 4x4 and then scale up the outside embankment near the dam wall. Needless to say, with the wind and the (at that stage) 1M waves, the water was exceedingly muddy, but we decided to give it a shot anyways, rigged up some spinnerbaits for the young gentlemen and proceeded with the instruction on how to, when to, what to, which as it turns out, is quite frustrating when you have to shout to eachother to be heard from one meter away.

So ... no action at Bell Park dam ... (if something WAS eating ... we would have nailed at least one) and we proceeded to go back to the car, get out of the crazy wind, and make other plans.

I'll tell you this much, there are innumerable little streams, dams and amazing scenes in that area, as a fisherman, if you have a little time to explore, you are really presented with a multitude of options. I'd really like to go back and spend some time there, most of the streams were exceedingly low and very very thin, apparently the Drakensberg is steadily running out of water (found that little bit of info at the venue we stayed at)

Anyways, onwards ... managed to find some very fishing looking waters, eventually landed up with an hour left to fish at a lovely private spot on the Bushmans, rigged up the flyrods this time, and then managed to instruct the ever eager young gentlemen on the fine art of indicator nymphing with a fly rod and as it turned out, Luc (11, who had never caught a fish before) managed to hook (and lose) his first scaly, you should have seen the smile, totally worth the schlepp and effort. Liam however was not so lucky ...

Then our time ran out, the sun went down, their mother had a hissyfit, the fishing was over.

Needless to say ... I didn't get to fish at all, but I will definitely be going back to that area to pick up a few scaly, and some stream troot, should the opportunity arise.

The rivers are wild, the fish are wild, my kind of fishing.

Thanks again to everyone who was so willing to help with information.

[QUOTE=Scythe;240094] , their mother had a hissyfit, the fishing was over.

Ha ha ha....best part of your whole post.....
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.