Thread: Great Grunter!

Default Great Grunter!

Pete Coetzee and Ian Kitching have been slaying the Grunts back home!

The Grunter Paradox

Ian Kitching's Grunter

Interesting. I wonder how a neutral density prawn fished on a floating line might fare compared to a surface prawn? Never seen a surface prawn in nature but have seen swimming prawns.

Different times of the year, will call for different tactics, but maybe, this might be the "holy grail"?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Hey Neil.

In Knysna and other Southern Cape estuaries we've seen prawns on the surface. Most commonly when the grunter are feeding the mud prawns that get blown out tend to swim upwards to the surface and for some reason cruise there! Ask me not why!

The early success with grunter on Knysna and further east came on floating flies. Big Marabou Muddlers and later the floating deerhair prawn that Gerhard Barnard showed me how to tie. Don't know who came up with the original idea.

Pete's articulated deerhair prawn is an epic fly! As are Henkie Altena and Pete's other prawn patterns. They really are flies that seem to be consistently working over a large variety of rivers systems.

And then there is the fabled prawn walk when all the prawns go on holiday! But this isn't often and I have only heard of it!

I think a neutral density fly would work, especially if you could get it to swim up towards the surface. But what material to use! There is still lots of experimenting to go!