Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: B Nationals

Scary results.

59 legal fish caught by 30 anglers each fishing 5 x 3h sessions for atotal of 450 fishing hours = 7.6 hours for each legal fish.
    The TOP anglers on average landed less than 1 fish each per 3 hour session.

Lets learn from this.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by pieters View Post
    i like catching them, way stronger fight than a yellow and normally hook them in the mouth, probably foul hooked two in my life
    whahahahahaha bullshit
    Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform

Hate to know how many muddies I have foul hooked, perhaps as many as I have hooked in the mouth. I cant really decide why this is. Perhaps the muddies lie still, and you just drag the fly over them, don't know. Look, I think if an angler is fishing off the bottom, its probably likely that the muddies wont get foul hooked, but if the flies are down correctly, there is a good chance of foul hooking them, as many times as they eat the fly... Something I have wondered about, and not come up with answers. It does sound strange that someone can claim to have foul hooked so few, when foul hooking muddies, is a very normal and unavoidable thing to do, but no point in disbelieving, give him the benefit of the doubt..
    Quote Originally Posted by Saloon 2000 View Post
    whahahahahaha bullshit
    Last edited by Andre; 29-10-13 at 09:34 AM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hate to know how many muddies I have foul hooked, perhaps as many as I have hooked in the mouth. I cant really decide why this is. Perhaps the muddies lie still, and you just drag the fly over them, don't know. Look, I think if an angler is fishing off the bottom, its probably likely that the muddies wont get foul hooked, but if the flies are down correctly, there is a good chance of foul hooking them, as many times as they eat the fly... Something I have wondered about, and not come up with answers. It does sound strange that someone can claim to have foul hooked so few, when foul hooking muddies, is a very normal and unavoidable thing to do, but no point in disbelieving, give him the benefit of the doubt..
    I think the most common problem is not keeping contact with flies and spacing flies to close to each other. Especially if you are using a NZ rig, you often see guys spacing them 20 - 30cm from each other

Possibly, but why would that cause more foul hooks. I have never used a NZ rig, and usually space the flies 50 to 60cm, and still I foul hook as many as I hook in the mouth' I think the answer I m searching for, is what is so different about the muddies behaviour that makes them more prone to foul hooking?
    Quote Originally Posted by PieterS View Post
    I think the most common problem is not keeping contact with flies and spacing flies to close to each other. Especially if you are using a NZ rig, you often see guys spacing them 20 - 30cm from each other
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Possibly, but why would that cause more foul hooks. I have never used a NZ rig, and usually space the flies 50 to 60cm, and still I foul hook as many as I hook in the mouth' I think the answer I m searching for, is what is so different about the muddies behaviour that makes them more prone to foul hooking?
    Probably a combination of things, they spawn earlier than yellows and I think during this period it is easier to foul hook them. Also have seen them face down stream when they feeding around rock surfaces

I haven't seen them do this. Most of my fishing is in the Orange River, but I don't think they are any different to the Vaal. I think perhaps muddies lie relatively still on the bottom, and don't move too much. The hook drifts over them, and catches them on the body. unless the fly drifts very close to his mouth, he doesn't eat it...that's my theory, but unproven.
    Quote Originally Posted by PieterS View Post
    Probably a combination of things, they spawn earlier than yellows and I think during this period it is easier to foul hook them. Also have seen them face down stream when they feeding around rock surfaces

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4