Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Dry fly only!

Hoppers are always excellent attractor flies! I was fishing the Hotel beat on the SB one day when I noticed a lot of hoppers flying to and fro across the stream ahead of me. I immediately made the switch and was into one fish after the other. The month was April. Usually the streams are low and the fish are extremely skittish but there was no hesitation with the hopper.

I agree that a large dry is the way to go on those deep pools. Has to be a big mouthful to make it worth the fish's while to expend the energy in coming up from the bottom. Big pools are always a bit tricky with the dry. It takes a lot of patience and continued concentration. I have missed many a big fish by drifting my fly for what seemed like an age, and losing concentration at some point. It is usually at that point that a fish comes up, when you least expect it, and when you look again, all you see are the receding rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Hoppers are always excellent attractor flies! I was fishing the Hotel beat on the SB one day when I noticed a lot of hoppers flying to and fro across the stream ahead of me. I immediately made the switch and was into one fish after the other. The month was April. Usually the streams are low and the fish are extremely skittish but there was no hesitation with the hopper.

I agree that a large dry is the way to go on those deep pools. Has to be a big mouthful to make it worth the fish's while to expend the energy in coming up from the bottom. Big pools are always a bit tricky with the dry. It takes a lot of patience and continued concentration. I have missed many a big fish by drifting my fly for what seemed like an age, and losing concentration at some point. It is usually at that point that a fish comes up, when you least expect it, and when you look again, all you see are the receding rings.
    Yup, concentration is one of the problems I have when fishing the Witte or other rivers when things are going slowly. You have so little action during a day that when you do have a take you need to be awake. Will see how tomorrow go's.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Big fish on a dry in deep pools? I've caught many over the years. Biggest river fish was a trout the length of a newspaper page caught high up on the EP with a big Caribou Spider. Big RAB's work well too as everyone else has stated. So do Stimulators. I have sometimes hedged my bets by suspending a nymph beneath a Stimulator and have had trout rising from those black holes to klap the dry!

On the Witte a brown rose from a deep black hole to smash a size 18 Klinkhammer.

What does all this mean? Do'nt know - but I do'nt think there are any fixed and form rules when it comes to trout. Broad generalisations maybe.

Kev, Agree with you on the parachute style. Apart from terrestial patterns and caddis, I only use parastyle as I've found them to be the most effective on WC streams.

Daryl, as you can see, I'm still at work - no beats available and nobody to fish with Holsloot just too far for an afternoon. Lokking forward to tomorrow

I'm still a newbie and have never caught a trout (or any fish for that matter) on a dry. I seem to think I am waisting my time cos I have never had any action. I just bought a few dry flys like coch-u-bondu(????) and grey duns. Would these work in SUmmer or on streams in Western Cape?

The only time I had a bite on the surface was a few weeks ago in DUllstroom (middelpunt). The fish were rising all over the place and gulping something (don't ask me what) and ignoring everything we threw at them. I tried Louis van der Westhuizen's advice of stripping a fly past them but to no avail. I got desperate and put on a red tailed booby and floated it in the shallows. The first fish that came past swam up and gulped it in. I was shocked! I had a nice fight with it and then the bugger got off the hook! Doh!!! @#$##@%$ #@$, !#@$.

Quote Originally Posted by dar View Post
    I'm still a newbie and have never caught a trout (or any fish for that matter) on a dry. I seem to think I am waisting my time cos I have never had any action. I just bought a few dry flys like coch-u-bondu(????) and grey duns. Would these work in SUmmer or on streams in Western Cape?

The only time I had a bite on the surface was a few weeks ago in DUllstroom (middelpunt). The fish were rising all over the place and gulping something (don't ask me what) and ignoring everything we threw at them. I tried Louis van der Westhuizen's advice of stripping a fly past them but to no avail. I got desperate and put on a red tailed booby and floated it in the shallows. The first fish that came past swam up and gulped it in. I was shocked! I had a nice fight with it and then the bugger got off the hook! Doh!!! @#$##@%$ #@$, !#@$.
    Patience and perserverance and you will succeed.

You can try the following in stillwaters. Fistly take notice of drifting material on the surface to ascertain in which direction they are moving. Cast in the direction from which the stuff is coming. This may be from dead ahead, or from either side of you. The same principals as stream fishing applies in that you need to be mindful of drag, so you may need to throw a bit of a mend in the line. Furthermore, you can just let the fly dead drift until it reaches the end of it's reach. Keep your eye on the fly at all times. Sometimes a fish will come up and subtly sip the fly in when you least expect it. If you notice fish coming up short and turning away at the last minute, then try the following. Go to a lighter tippet, check your cast for drag free drift, change the fly.

I am over simplifying things a bit here I know, but give it some thought and never stop trying.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

In my experience, having fished for browns all over the world, so called "dry fly purists" are guys who are just useless at other forms of flyfishing such as nymphing, wet fly, streamers and more. Anybody can catch a trout when you can see the take for Pete's sake!

Dry fly dummies more like

Quote Originally Posted by Fario View Post
    In my experience, having fished for browns all over the world, so called "dry fly purists" are guys who are just useless at other forms of flyfishing such as nymphing, wet fly, streamers and more. Anybody can catch a trout when you can see the take for Pete's sake!

Dry fly dummies more like
    hehehe.......and you're ****ing ********!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Chris

Why r u getting uppity? Did I strike a nerve

Quote Originally Posted by Fario View Post
    Chris

Why r u getting uppity? Did I strike a nerve
    ****ing @rsehole downstream nymphomaniac!

Chris

Just got back to the computer - what have I missed here?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast