Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Balsa poppers

Quote Originally Posted by dpammenter View Post
    yeh, i used that method too on a few of my planes, but then figured that sanding sealer is just way easier. picked some up this weekend. bloody stuff has gotten pricy, and you can't buy less than 1 litre - that's a hell of a lot of poppers! might even get though all of the balsa Wiets has offerred!
    True DOPE makes for a better seal and putting water paper to it afterwords makes for a better and smoother spray job.

Default Alternative to...

Attachment 807

Attachment 808

This is a pencil popper that I tie using foam and then I give it a coat of silicone, almost like a silicone baitfish! It kicks ass, sits low in the water, gurgles and pushes alot of water as well as being relatively easy to cast....

the results

Attachment 809

Different to a balsa popper but works great
    Last edited by nkula_nkula; 13-06-07 at 11:58 PM.
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Attachment 807

Attachment 808

This is a pencil popper that I tie using foam and then I give it a coat of silicone, almost like a silicone baitfish! It kicks ass, sits low in the water, gurgles and pushes alot of water as well as being relatively easy to cast....

the results

Attachment 809

Nice Liam like the fly.
    Have you heard of the Crease fly? Developed by Cpt. J Blados. The Idea came up because his wife was *****ing about all the balsa shavings on the floor, so whala the crease fly.
    I have tied them extensively and have fished them with great success. wanna try one on?

Quote Originally Posted by FIGJAM View Post
    Nice Liam like the fly.
    Have you heard of the Crease fly? Developed by Cpt. J Blados. The Idea came up because his wife was *****ing about all the balsa shavings on the floor, so whala the crease fly.
    I have tied them extensively and have fished them with great success. wanna try one on?
    yes please
    how do you work out the proprtions again? i saw somewhere a drawing how to pre cut the foam?
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Nice Liam like the fly.
    I have some, I must admit I haven't fished them much but have caught small fish on them at de mond. How big do you tie them, ie what hook size?

Regards
    Liam
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Attachment 807

Attachment 808

the results

Attachment 809

i really like those liam. nice profile and i see why you having success. no tying tonight, too much rushing for the flyswaps me thinks
    cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

I have some, I must admit I haven't fished them much but have caught small fish on them at de mond. How big do you tie them, ie what hook size?

Regards
    Liam
    Liam
    From 1.0 inch to 3.0 inches (foam body length) on a 2/0 and 3/0 Tiemco long shank popper hook. I use Wild Wild foam and only the pearl accented one which I manipulate with marker pens. The belly I epoxy with some lateral scale flash.

Liam
    From 1.0 inch to 3.0 inches (foam body length) on a 2/0 and 3/0 Tiemco long shank popper hook. I use Wild Wild foam and only the pearl accented one which I manipulate with marker pens. The belly I epoxy with some lateral scale flash.
    Sounds good, I like the belly epoxy. I'll swap one of my pencil poppers for a crease fly of yours, ok?

Sounds good, I like the belly epoxy. I'll swap one of my pencil poppers for a crease fly of yours, ok?
    I do accept most credit cards and Diners club. Cool no problem I will give you one at the next CPS commitee meeting....Thats if I can get a break from the M.B.A that is.

I do accept most credit cards and Diners club. Cool no problem I will give you one at the next CPS commitee meeting....Thats if I can get a break from the M.B.A that is.
    Cool, i'm going to transkei next weekend for two weeks so am missing the june committee meeting. But at the july one, I'll def bring one along for a swap Good luck with the graft, I suffered through my finance honours last year! Although I'll be doing no solidarity studying over the next 3weeks I'm no public service wekka.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast