Thread: In favour of std arbor reels

Default In favour of std arbor reels

After taking up flyfishing again after about a 10 year break it seemed to me like std arbor reels were quite out of fashion. So like everyone else I bought large arbor reels, and yes they are nice.

But then a very nice std arbor shilton cl2 came up for sale as a second hand bargain and I bought it. The fact that the reel is smaller but still houses much more backing has me sold. I now again prefer std arbor and its been a massive pleasure fishing the little cl2 even with big fish.

To all the guys that upgraded to large arbor reels, if you have std arbor shiltons lying in the cupboard gathering dust that wont be used again I would gladly buy them second hand. I love my cl2 so much that I would really want another cl2 and a couple of cl3s or 4s for my bigger rods.

Am I the only guy that feels like this?

Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post
    After taking up flyfishing again after about a 10 year break it seemed to me like std arbor reels were quite out of fashion. So like everyone else I bought large arbor reels, and yes they are nice.

But then a very nice std arbor shilton cl2 came up for sale as a second hand bargain and I bought it. The fact that the reel is smaller but still houses much more backing has me sold. I now again prefer std arbor and its been a massive pleasure fishing the little cl2 even with big fish.

To all the guys that upgraded to large arbor reels, if you have std arbor shiltons lying in the cupboard gathering dust that wont be used again I would gladly buy them second hand. I love my cl2 so much that I would really want another cl2 and a couple of cl3s or 4s for my bigger rods.

Am I the only guy that feels like this?
    Mmmmm......interesting point.

I might be wrong but my old Killwell Genesis is closer to a standard arbor then a large arbor....if I am wrong, please dont shoot me, just help me right. Yella, you might not be alone, time will tell on this thread. At this stage I might be backing your viewpoint.
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

Hey Yella; I am sure you will not be alone in your preference. I for one am a huge fan of Std Arbor reels.

Have tried a few Large Arbor reels but always changed back. Perhaps Bad habits Die Old.:wink:
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

Hi Jax, Im glad Im not the only one. I caught a nice fish yesterday again and the extra backing I can have on a std arbor gives me lots of confidence. Im surely going to convert my bigger rod to a shilton cl4 when finances permit.

I still have my old daiwa click type reels from the late 80s and early 90s, they still work perfectly and I still fish them sometimes for trout.

Is there anyone still making std arbor fly reels? I am looking at fly reels for saltwater use and as stated above? They would hold far more backing for the same size reel and have the same retrieve rate with the backing.