Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Big Carp Flies

Default Your Favorite Big Carp Flies

Guys

I want to pick your brains here please? I would like to know what your favorite flies are for sight fishing to big Carp?

I came across some big Carp grazing the shallows on Saturday and I did have some limited success as these fish spook very easily and your presentation needs to be spot on.

How do you weight your flies without causing that plop on the surface that puts them on alert?

What colours are goto colors for these flies? I seem to think that orange is a game changer?

Do the flies need movement? Rubber legs? Marabou?

I want to emphasize big as 10-15kg and bigger.

What I have seen is that once they start grazing you can get close to them but if your boat drifts over the weeds and makes a sound they shoot off.

They will follow a fly as the boat drifts, pick the fly up and put it down again and they are off as the slightest movement from you will have them running.

I connected with a specimen of roughly 8-10kg on the 5wt. Well that fish stripped so much line off the reel on its initial run that I had to follow it with boat. It went into weeds and I got the better of it, managed to lift it out the weeds and then the fly came loose. I was almost in tears. I discovered these fish whilst fishing for bass and kurper. I saw fish that was real close to 100cm and one of these took the fly and spat it out before I could set the hook. That image is haunting me in my sleep. In hind sight I should probably have fished an 8 or 9wt

What amazed me is the speed and power of that initial run. I now know why they are referred to as freshwater Bonefish. Its been a while since my reel went zik, ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiik, ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii k.

Please share some of your code breakers even if it's a link to another site.

Thanks in advance.

Probably a grass carp you hooked into.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Hi Koos,
    This page might be helpful :
    http://www.intheriffle.com/the-riffl...ight-carp-fly/
    For the lakes , I am using simple Woolly Bugger , but not to big , say size 8-10 , in black and olive .
    The trick is to make Marabou tail fathers to become alive .....
    Cheers,
    Zoran
    Last edited by Zoran; 04-11-13 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Probably a grass carp you hooked into.
    Nope Korra, they were Carp. Mirror Carp to be exact.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
    Hi Koos,
    This page might be helpful :
    http://www.intheriffle.com/the-riffl...ight-carp-fly/
    For the lakes , I am using simple Woolly Bugger , but not to big , say size 8-10 , in black and olive .
    Cheers,
    Zoran
    Thanks for that link Zoran.
    I was actually targeting them in 1-1.5m Deep channels.
    So that link proves invaluable. Thanks

I could clearly see these Carp both on the Surface and the bottom.
    I had 1.5m Visibility. It was the first time ever that I saw these fish kick up mud in the manner they did. It almost looked like a dog mauling something. Also saw fish almost standing on their heads with tails clearly in the air.

Another thing I was thinking is to actually tie the flies on Jig Hooks.
    This way the fly will go down quick and with the hook point riding up, hookups should be solid in the upper jaw.

Koos,

Dion has had good success sight fishing to big carp with the Carp Bugger in black with a red marabou tail. Another one that seems to work is red eyed damsels. I am not the expert here but a slow sinking fly seems to be the way too go with lots of marobou for movement.

Found a pic of the fly and a nice article on fly fishing for carp here: http://www.flytalk.co.za/readArticle.php?p_id=6
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Another advantage of the jig hooks, you end up with less grass etc on the fly.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Has anyone had any success fishing Crab or Crayfish Type Patterns for Carp?
    This is a serious question, no pun or jokes intended.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast