Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Land based ff for yellowtail.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Back home for a change!!!!!!!
    And back on the yellow tailed Zorro mission. Thanks for all the line advise. But got the answer from Archer fish (Craig) to day. Just add a length of lead core to the back end of my intermediate line. That is the lesser of the two evils. No extra spools no extra line, just turn the line around that's on the reel. With this setup one can fish poppers on intermediate, sub surface with intermediate and fish deep with a lead core shooting head and intermediate as running line (turned around fly line) and it solves the problem of running out of fly line when casting from a elevated positions.

Finding good spots is going to be the make or brake for this mission. Tomorrow or the day after I am going to aid climb (rock climb) from cape point light house towards Rooikrans , there are about 3 spots that are looking very good. And at Simons town there is a wreck about 150 meters off the beach, the engine block is the only part of the wreck that is above the water. My wife got me a shark shield to make sure I get there and back in one piece. When the spinning okes get yellowtail at Simons town they all say that the yellowtail head straight for the wreck to cut them off.

Must say that sitting under the spinning okes and seeing yellowtail chasing plugs till at my rod tip, takes all my self control not to flick my fly at them. Getting a yellowtail unaided is what it is about. No hook-less plugs no chum no flashers. Just good old fashion hard work, luck and calculated risks.
    Are you going to swim to the wreck!?
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Default But of cause yes!!

You up for it?

Howzit guys,
    Made my first trip to Rooikraans two days ago and managed to get a yellowtail, but on a plug... I have yellow fever! Some of the most insane fishing i've ever done! Super keen to tackle them on fly. What tackle are you guys using?
    Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time...

For me a 10 wt is a good rod for yellowtail a 3kg fish will be fun and if you hook in to 5kg plus tail you can still land it.
    Have been doing a lot of ff at spots at the point with no spinner okes.Had 3 good presentations at tail with one big fish committing and then turned away at my feet.There are a lot of tail today.But they are not feeding just chasing. Will be on the cliffs tomorrow.Lets hope they turn on.

Jim,

Im in Simons Town at the moment, give me a call if you're looking for a partner. I'd be keen to join you on the rocks. Unfortunately i dont have any 10wt rods, so i'll have to throw spinner. I dont think its a good idea to risk my 8wt...
    Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time...

Quote Originally Posted by damage View Post
    I ended up using t14 (9m) folded in half to make a shorter shooting head
    Sounds like a lead sinker to me
    Regards
    Craig

Shock horror lead !!! I only fish light tackle :0)
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12