Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weedless topwater fly....

Didn't Murray tie that Frog Pattern with Spun Deer Hair a year or so ago in TCFF?
    Wont something like that work? Especially if you add a little bit of weight into the belly of the frog, causing the hook point to ride up? For legs you could then use a clump of rubber legs on both sides. Can't see why this can't work.

Am just thinking here, that the weight might actually make it plop onto the water. If you then strip it hard, it should dive in just below the surface?
    Last edited by E.T.; 19-11-13 at 02:59 PM.

Blog Entries

I bought a really nice bulsar frog in Sabie once, made for fly fishing. Simply took a bass hook, riding up, attached the bulsar body and used skirts for the legs and of course painted and gave an epoxy coating. That is the answer in my humble opinion. I will take a pic tonight.

With the hook riding up, snag free, wide gap, better hook up catered for.
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Ever tried anything like this Steve?

This is obviously a crab pattern, but could work pretty well with a frog pattern, and should stay completely weedless until hook up…
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Andre thats a bloody brilliant fly. Thanks for sharing.

Have to DITTO that.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

No worries… found it on Sam Roots instagram, thought it was pretty cool idea…

Showed it to Pete Coetzee, said he'd tried similar but had hook up issues…but I think a bass hook frog variation could mimic those rubber moulded topwater frogs the conventional boys do so well on..
    Last edited by Nepptune; 19-11-13 at 10:22 PM.
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12