Thread: Umhlanga Rocks ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Umhlanga Rocks ?

Gents,

Will have a limited time window at this location, so the question begs to be asked:

Is it worth it? I'm thinking of dragging the 7WT with, just in case. (I'm concerned more with safety than with species/sizes)

Any other bits you have to offer will be useful and appreciated.

TIA,
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Gents,

Will have a limited time window at this location, so the question begs to be asked:

Is it worth it? I'm thinking of dragging the 7WT with, just in case. (I'm concerned more with safety than with species/sizes)

Any other bits you have to offer will be useful and appreciated.

TIA,
    I grew up in Umhlanga, there is a lot of gully's/channels etc that can be fished, however most of these area's get hammered by the rock and surf guys. There are fish from time to time but nothing you wouldn't need more then a 5wt for.

For me if you have time rather try further north (Umhloti/Westbrook/Ballito etc)
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Umhlanga rocks can be good, try an hour before sunrise to 2 hrs after sunrise in the deepish water just below the lighthouse (can't miss the spot). If that time can coincide with a pushing tide so much the better.

I was there in Feb and picked up quite a few small kingfish, nothing worth taking a pic of but good fun.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com