Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: UCT dam

Andre, after studying at UCT and seeing it first hand their will be a poaching problem. Trout are a weak apex predator and they will not eradicate the other fish species there. That dam has everything in it... Carp, bass, tilapia and other bream species. Heaps of people fish there with conventional gear (and bait too) against the rules...
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

To all the dam fishers: What's the status of Hillcrest Dam these days? Trout? Bass?

Why arent the bass etc poached out then?
    Regards
    Craig

Hey whatever..I don't really care, as the chances of me fishing there are very remote. I used to take my sons there when they were very young, and haven't been there in years. I received my info from a staffer at UCT, who is part of the organising infrastructure of the sports dept, and he tells me that they have never had a poaching problem.... so don't shoot the messenger.
    Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Andre, after studying at UCT and seeing it first hand their will be a poaching problem. Trout are a weak apex predator and they will not eradicate the other fish species there. That dam has everything in it... Carp, bass, tilapia and other bream species. Heaps of people fish there with conventional gear (and bait too) against the rules...
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Howsit Okes, just came back from fishing the UCT Dam, i phoned the Sports centre and the lady named Dorethy said that you must ask the security and they wont mind, but when i went there wasn't anyone around so i just went in as the fences are blown down in some areas and the gates are wide open, i spent an hour fishing and got a few bites and then finely caught a bass(smallie) right by the dam wall, went further on making my way through the trees(very tricky to walk along the waters edge) and fell in twice but its very difficult to cast or fly, i was spinning as i didnt want to loose my flies. There are signs of fish but how many i dont know, the lady said the dam hasnt been stocked in 6 years and she doesnt know whats in the dam, the best way to find out is to take a float tube and fish. It was very windy when i went to the dam but the water does seem very clear but fishing is very difficult, if there was a way UCT could raise funds and build new fences 5m out from the existing fences and trim the trees and grass and charge people a small fee for fishing,it would be an amazing place to fish and relax, they will surely make back the money in no time and stock the dam with trout and bass. im going again on Sunday to try my luck and will give you guys another report back, going out on a float tube and fly fishing from the middle of the dam!

Having spent the last 5 years at UCT, all I have caught there are bass. There were once trout, but that was many years ago…. HUGE problem, is very January the helicopters come and stake out a lot of the water in the dam to fight fires, so don't know if there is enough depth to sustain trout… My mate and I tried to re-start the angling club, but it was far too much effort given the lack of support. Lastly, every time I saw someone fishing, it has always been with spinning gear, even though this is not allowed.
    I'll stay as long as i can fish. . .

Whenever the "club" for geniuses - MENSA - was mentioned, I always wondered if their was an opposite equivalent society for imbeciles. Now I know, it's called ANCYL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2