Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #7 10" still water rod???

Default #7 10" still water rod???

I am starting to look around for a new still water rod
    #7 10" Rod, is what I am in the market for.

Any suggestions for some of the latest rods on the market, that any forumer has fished with or have heard good things about, please post.
    With the research starting, I stumbled across the Beulah fly rods.
    http://www.beulahflyrods.com/product...itch-rods/5wt/
    Maybe even something a bit longer might do the job
    http://www.beulahflyrods.com/product...itch-rods/7wt/

have any one heard about them?
    Last edited by Korrie; 18-12-13 at 08:58 PM.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

TFO BVK 10' ... hubba hubba.

(But I don't think you will need a 7WT)
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlie" - Ago 2014.

all my stillwater lines are #7, so must be #7, not replacing all the lines.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Gaan cast een en jy sal begryp wat ek se.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlie" - Ago 2014.

Korrie, if you are open to something different what about the Orvis Helios Switch rods? They come in 11 foot 7 weights:

http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishin...s-2-switch-rod

Chris Williams fishes the 11 foot 5 weight on the Vaal with great success and pleasure i might add... When i saw the rod I thought that it would be a beast to use for a full days Vaal fishing but it is unbelievably light and has an incredible action. Probably lighter than most 9 or 10 foot 5 weights used by most guys.

And the fighting butt isnt as pronounced as a regular two hander (which this onbviously isnt), it looks just like a double length regular fighting butt on a 10 footer and the rod cast perfectly one handed too.
    Bryan Williams

My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!

Check out my albums

Buying a rod to match the line might or might not be the correct approach.....but at the end of the day you want your line out there don't you?

I have two suggestions; 1) Get a Sage TCX and 2) a 7wt might be the wrong rod for those lines I'd definitely consider a 6wt 10' first. Then we can go on and talk about reel weight and the type of line to have a perfectly balanced outfit,where you intend fishing Stilwaters, 15lb plus Trout,etc but that's your baby haha!! My preferred Largemouth floating rig is a 7wt 10' loaded with a 8wt Forty plus line, boeta it's the bomb I tell you. My sinkers (all 5) are 6th sense jobs in 8wt as well. If you're concernced about the too stiff rod remember the added foot makes it slower and more sensitive. Save yourself the trouble, knyp jou o toe and swipe die kaart!!
    Gerrit Viljoen

Philip Meyer mentioned Greys XF2 Competitor Special to me. MAy be worth considering

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Korrie, if you are open to something different what about the Orvis Helios Switch rods? They come in 11 foot 7 weights:

http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishin...s-2-switch-rod

Chris Williams fishes the 11 foot 5 weight on the Vaal with great success and pleasure i might add... When i saw the rod I thought that it would be a beast to use for a full days Vaal fishing but it is unbelievably light and has an incredible action. Probably lighter than most 9 or 10 foot 5 weights used by most guys.

And the fighting butt isnt as pronounced as a regular two hander (which this onbviously isnt), it looks just like a double length regular fighting butt on a 10 footer and the rod cast perfectly one handed too.
    thanks, my current rod is an Sage XP 11foot. lovely rod, but these newer models, is much lighter, which is why I am starting to itch. Will definitely try to fish with one of the mentioned rods. Might spend a day with Chris in the new year on a trip to JHB, it has been a while since I fished with him.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    Buying a rod to match the line might or might not be the correct approach.....but at the end of the day you want your line out there don't you?

I have two suggestions; 1) Get a Sage TCX and 2) a 7wt might be the wrong rod for those lines I'd definitely consider a 6wt 10' first. Then we can go on and talk about reel weight and the type of line to have a perfectly balanced outfit,where you intend fishing Stilwaters, 15lb plus Trout,etc but that's your baby haha!! My preferred Largemouth floating rig is a 7wt 10' loaded with a 8wt Forty plus line, boeta it's the bomb I tell you. My sinkers (all 5) are 6th sense jobs in 8wt as well. If you're concernced about the too stiff rod remember the added foot makes it slower and more sensitive. Save yourself the trouble, knyp jou o toe and swipe die kaart!!
    Thanks, will see if the Upstream have one of these in stock, and try it out. How does it compare to the old TCR? The old TCR was to stiff for my liking on still waters. Lovely for the estauries, but not trout still water on 5x tippet. If I do go with it, will do a build.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by l'ombre View Post
    Philip Meyer mentioned Greys XF2 Competitor Special to me. MAy be worth considering
    Trying to lock up shop, will have some spare time, might be worth to take a drive to PHillip and try it out, tx
    Korrie Broos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast