Thread: So awesome

Default So awesome

Hi guys. Emjay is the name, live in Nelspruit. Been a competitive bass fisherman for a very long time and have fished for the majority of my life. Started very early. 23 years to the day that I went on my first fishing trip.

Flyfishing just hit me between the eyes with no real warning. Just woke up one morning amd realised flyfishing is the most awesome raw way to catch a fish. Big tackle fundi and a bit of a enthusiast.

I regularly fish for bass, smallmouth bass, large and smallmouth yellows, plenty of tigers in stocked dams and the river, and then obviously my latest love for trout. So I was thinking....5wt to start off with but thats where I hope you guys would please guide me. After looking around two reels sank onto my heart. Shilton cr and Hardy ultralite.

Next bit of help and moderators please dont punish me for this but....I have a spare Gloomis NRX 853 bass rod thats virtually brand new and immaculate. They retail around 5K or slightly more, I would like to know if anyone would be willing to swop me for a shilton or obviously a hardy ultralite although the worth is less than my rod. I am even willing to trade for a slightly less expensive midrange or secondhand kit just consisting of line reel and rod. I know chances are slim but hopefully like me there are other members that carry a special place for bass fishing too that might have some spare or previously upgraded upon kit sitting there.

This would be too cool as I am dying to get started. I borrowed a cheapy and do not yet own my own kit. I would love to get a gloomis nrx or glx paired with a ultralite. The wychwood lightweights also seem nice. Then there are the abels ross sage etc. But if I could get away with more affordable kit and that would work please let me know.

I hope to learn a great deal and cant wait to take my first fish on a fly. If anyone is interested in a trade or buying the rod for a bargain please let me know on 082 974 6410 or email at emjaysmit@gmail.com you can even whatsapp me any time of day or nite. Looking forward to some awesome times and just by reading so many of the posts I am sure I will learn a great deal from all of you and although I am a daily contributor to bassfishing.co.za and bassing sometimes being a know it all this forrum will be used as a learning centre. Thanks a million to the hoast and person behind the site. You have already made my life so much easier
    Last edited by emjaysmit; 01-01-14 at 12:53 PM.

Ok rod sold. Shilton cl or hardy ultralite

shilton ,just because it has a better drag system.I love the look and feel of the hardy but the one I saw had a really cheapp and nasty drag

I also vote for the Shilton - I think the CL especially is good value as you can pick them up a bit cheaper. Everybody wants a large arbor and a CL with proper amount of backing ends up being large arbor anyway.

thanks a million guys, ended up going with a Hardy Uniqua Series 1 5/6 weight I got for a bargain. Havent had the chance to go to Mahuvuanga or whatever in Dullies to actually check out the Shilton and Hardy for myself....so will decide then which to get....

Quote Originally Posted by emjaysmit View Post
    thanks a million guys, ended up going with a Hardy Uniqua Series 1 5/6 weight I got for a bargain. Havent had the chance to go to Mahuvuanga or whatever in Dullies to actually check out the Shilton and Hardy for myself....so will decide then which to get....
    I hope your Hardy Uniqua rod is a 9ft rod at least?

Don't get a Shilton CL-series. You are going to later realise that you should have bought the Shilton CR3.
    http://shiltonreels.com/products/fre...els/cr-series/
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Definately the Cr

High GGY, lol it is the reel...will look at buying the Shilton CR next week or the Hardy ultralite but then will look at the DD and not the CC...my local shop hasnt got stock so I just wanted something "nice" for now to feed the tackle monkey....

Mavungana is a stone throw away from me and the closest shop wih the nicest goodies so will go check it out...Maybe gt the Hardy DD as a 3wt setup and the shilton as another backup 5/6wt. Out of all the reels the Hardy's and Shilton's to me look awesome and look good value for money...Able probably awesome but UGLY and plain...nice paint scheme though...eish still so much to learn...