Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ntafuff

Hi leonard
    I've fished mtafufu plenty what an awesome place You gonna flyfish or fish conventional, only the river or the beach and rocks as well?
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

hey rory,
    im not into flyshing in the sea as yet.mainly drop shot and fishing light tackle with lures and small drift baits.what fish have you caught in there?
    GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Hi leonard
    I think I'm correct in saying that Mtafufu is the southernmost estuary with mangroves so if you going to dropshot I reckon you going to have a ball!! The baitfish, prawns, crabs etc in those mangroves is unbelivable. Its a good food chain. Towards the mouth theres a smaller creek which enters the estuary and the mullet there are monsters. If I can remember correctly theres another creek up towards the camping ground. Always some movement there. In fact that river mouth is packed with mullet and on a pushing tide the kob are thick! Upriver form the spot where you launch the boats we've caught white steenbras/pignose grunter (not sure which is the correct name ) There are some pretty big springer up there as well. Plenty springer around the mouth and the beach has plenty stumpnose (I've only blanked flyfishing the beach but have caught spans on conventional RS tackle) The beach is mighty long and relatively shallow, the waves just roll in from far out, but theres always two deep holes and you should spot those easy enough. You have to promise me you'll fish the beach one night, at the mouth, garuanteed kob hot spot. So you should get some kob, springer, perch and steenbras/pignose in the river, kob, stumpies, and springer off the beach. If you prepared to walk up to the rocks at the far(northern) end of the beach You'll get your normal bronze bream, blacktails, moonies etc. (I got revved by a decent cracker there, took a bottle of OBS to stop me shaking ) Make sure you put lock nuts on your wheels and the spare as well if you got a bakkie. Hope this helps just ask if you need more info.
    Cheers
    Rory

Sorry plenty more estuaries to the south with mangroves

thanks rory,will defnitley fish the beach 1 night on the outgoing tide after we've done the river.going for a week.what you mean lock nuts?im guessing theft?we got a jeep so its pretty secured,and we staying in the park,and i think theres a guard if not we'll have to take the gat with.
    GO BIG OR GO HOME!

just for your interest....the most southern estuary with mangroves is the Nahoon River in East London!!

Weeds - East London!! Hell I'm only off by about 500-600 kms, Thats an immediate strafdop.

Leonard
    Ja, you get those lock nuts to prevent your wheels from being liberated off your vehicle, most branches of midas should stock them. The locals at Mtafuf are pretty relaxed but won't pass up on any freebies. Are you guys staying in the camping ground at the old forest station or the private one further up the river? I remeber the gaurd at the old forest station was pretty sharp until friday night when he gets smashed Also check up at the Inn if they will let you use the pub, the view from the deck up there is amazing. I have to admit that I'm pretty envious, its a super spot, but I'm off to the Transkei for 10 days at the end of July myself, can't wait, getting lekker naafie at work already
    Cheers
    Rory

We'll let you off cause they are a freak of nature.....the next ones are way north.....not too sure probably around the Tshani area!!

hey shot,my dads jeep is antitheft everything.im staying in a cottage in the private grounds up river.
    GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Quote Originally Posted by leonard williams View Post
    hey shot,my dads jeep is antitheft everything.im staying in a cottage in the private grounds up river.
    Perfect, then I don't think security will be an issue, the gaurds there dish out their own form of punishment to transgressors Just remember to post some pics on the forum when you get back
    Cheers
    Rory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast