View Poll Results: Indicator method or nymphing method?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Indicator 0-5 fish

4 25.00%
  • Indicator 5-10 fish

1 6.25%
  • Indicator 10-15 fish

3 18.75%
  • Nymphing 0-5 fish

0 0%
  • Nymphing 5-10 fish

2 12.50%
  • Nymphing 10-15 fish

8 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Indicator fishing or nymphing what is better ? Pole!

Yes, quite right. SM yellows tend to move around a lot more than other fish, so its luck or the draw. Theres no way of knowing if there is a large or a small fish in any particular piece of water
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    Hi Gerrit

I agree with you on scoping the river for where to expect big fish to be.but what I meant with luck of the draw was that I have caught 3 kg SM yellows in water two feet deep and 500g yellows in water 1 meter deep. So maybe it applies more to LM yellows ! PS I admire your work with the LM yellows !!! That fish you caught last year the 20 lb was a monster
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Yes, quite right. SM yellows tend to move around a lot more than other fish, so its luck or the draw. Theres no way of knowing if there is a large or a small fish in any particular piece of water
    Oh my goodness.....

Sounds like you disagree. I'm talking about smallmouth yellows. They don't hold for long in the same place, they tend to move around in shoals. They aren't like trout which are solitary mostly, and have an almost permanent lie. Small mouth yellows behave differently, and in the months when we like to catch them in the rapids and moving water... they aren't staying in one place, so to think that we have to fish to their lies, is misleading. Largemouth on the other hand, do tend to "nest" similar to bass., but are also known to move around a lot when the hunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    Oh my goodness.....
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Oh my goodness.....
    Im not sure we are all disagree actually, Gerrit you said that in "feeding mode" fish move around and have two basic needs that needs to be present for them to be there, doesn't this also hold true for small fish of the same species ? so In feeding mode you can catch fish where ever these basic needs is are. big or small IE luck of the draw. you can target big fish but does not mean that you will only get big fish. if you have succeeded in that please teach us how you ONLY manage to catch BIG fish.
    Trout is for people that don't know how to catch yellows.
    www.fishingforyellows.co.za, store.fishingforyellows.co.za

trust me it wasn't just "luck of the draw". Learn to read water better and soon you'll catch bigger fish by knowing which type of water the bigger fish prefers. Why and when is the key here, all to do with the fish's needs and not so much technique.
    +1 there Gerrit!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Im not sure we are all disagree actually, Gerrit you said that in "feeding mode" fish move around and have two basic needs that needs to be present for them to be there, doesn't this also hold true for small fish of the same species ? so In feeding mode you can catch fish where ever these basic needs is are. big or small IE luck of the draw. you can target big fish but does not mean that you will only get big fish. if you have succeeded in that please teach us how you ONLY manage to catch BIG fish.
    Jy is besig om te technical te raak oor terme. Vergeet van dit en target die "big fish lies"

"Feeding mode" can mean two things;1) feeding only meaning they feed in shallower water where most food concentrate and couldn't be bothered with predation. This usually only happens during dusk and dawn i.e darker light conditions. Then you get your second "feeding mode" where food is abundant but they are sheltered from current and predation i.e could be in thick cover, 2m deep / deep enough where predators can see them. A third "feeding mode" is not really feeding as such,but more a case of striking due to aggression / irritation.

Yes I have succeeded in knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that big fish tend to have certain lies and thus I concentrate all my efforts on those. Sometimes you get smaller fish in those lies but only until the Submarine of that area returns.

Ps. Van nou af moet jy maar vir Andre tips vra hy het Trout en Yellows uitgefigure tot die been my bra.

Sometimes you get smaller fish in those lies but only until the Submarine of that area returns.
    Therein lies the summation of this discussion. Imho, case closed.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Therein lies the summation of this discussion. Imho, case closed.
    +1 Mario so new moto for everyday on the vaal. look for the submarines hide out and hope he is home ,else settle for this 1 kg care taker.
    Trout is for people that don't know how to catch yellows.
    www.fishingforyellows.co.za, store.fishingforyellows.co.za

+1 Mario so new moto for everyday on the vaal. look for the submarines hide out and hope he is home ,else settle for this 1 kg care taker.
    +1 Ek like jou style!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast