Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Why cant i cast into my backing?

Yes Salfly fish that's you !
    No you don't need hot torpedo for that.
    I will show you +28 m cast with #4 weight 7'6'' fibreglass rod

zoran do you ever come down to Durban?

yes ,but not so often ..few times per year ..will let you know next time ...

Get a proper casting coach to watch you cast and (re)teach you how to do it.

Mark Yelland is an excellent teacher in this regard (contact him Urban Flyfishers http://urban-fly-fisher.com/)
    If he does not come to Durban, Mark will be able to tell you who down there can help.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Probably the easiest option to see your backing everytime.
    As a result if years and years of hard work, perseverance, practise and refining my technique I have become masterful at making this happen with every cast, wether I intended to or not.

Want to know my closely guarded secret?

At the end of the last cast, rotate your hand 90 degrees clockwise.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Another basic "problem" could be that you try to hard.

Slow down your strokes, increase your "waiting time" at the end of the forward and back cast.
    You will be surprised, when you try to get more line out, you try "faster line speed, more power etc etc"

Watch Lefty Kreh and Joan Wulf, some clips on Youtube. "slow relaxed" casting strokes.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Not sure what you mean here scythe.Is clockwise inward?Im sure you mean 45 degrees also

Rotating the hand 90 degrees, is not something that I have heared as a recognised technique to get the extra distance. Not saying it doesn't work, I just wonder how the rod can release properly without the spine directly in line you the direction of the line. Most of the published casting instructors say that the rod should always load and release along the spine, so it tells me that in order to do this, the spine is out of line with the direction of the cast..... not sure how I feel about this, but if it gets the desired effect, then good.
    Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Not sure what you mean here scythe.Is clockwise inward?Im sure you mean 45 degrees also
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Rotating the hand 90 degrees, is not something that I have heared as a recognised technique to get the extra distance. Not saying it doesn't work, I just wonder how the rod can release properly without the spine directly in line you the direction of the line. Most of the published casting instructors say that the rod should always load and release along the spine, so it tells me that in order to do this, the spine is out of line with the direction of the cast..... not sure how I feel about this, but if it gets the desired effect, then good.
    Err Andre, I think Bertu is referring to looking at the backing whilst it is still on the reel..

Although if I am wrong, well that really baffles the brain then!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    Err Andre, I think Bertu is referring to looking at the backing whilst it is still on the reel..

Although if I am wrong, well that really baffles the brain then!
    yup, I suspect he means that as well ;-)
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast