Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Why cant i cast into my backing?

Default Why cant i cast into my backing?

Been fly fishing for over 20yrs in both salt and fresh.Never been able to cast to the backing,so maybe getting 70ft max.Have top of the line equipment so this isnt the issue.
    Has anyone else which im sure is the majority who have the same problem?Is there anyone who has had an eureka idea/tactic change etc that has taken them to the backing?
    I have good form and cast accurately.Just cant get the line to that 90 - 100ft mark

Aerialize +- 55ft of fly line, shoot 15ft during your final back stroke (by now you have 70ft of line in the air) and shoot the last 20ft with your final forward stroke. The main thing is that you need to have sufficient energy stored in your rod i.e a deep rod bend. (That's where all the energy is stored) Also, tight loops travel further, less wind resistance plus a few double halls won't hurt.

How many times do you practice on the grass?
    get someone that can cast well, to watch you.
    or video yourself.
    It might be as simple as that you are not letting the fly line and tippet straighten out, completely on the back cast. (solution, wait a fraction longer on the back cast)
    maybe the double haul on the forward cast is "slightly out of timing).
    Can be one of quite a few possible small errors.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

If you are battling with the last 10 feet or so, its usually a minor thing. Could be simply a matter of timing, but if you don't know, it isn't easy to fix on your own. Nothing wrong with taking a lesson or two, so get with someone who can cast a full line, and let them have a look.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Well lets start with what rod you using?

The furthest I've ever thrown a full fly line was about 60m. But I have to admit, there was quite a bit of wind behind me, and the line was still in the box
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Check your loops...

If your loops are lekker up to the last cast then you are doing what most of us tend to do, which is to overpower the last cast thereby opening up your loops and losing power. I do this a lot, if you feel like you're working, then you're doing it wrong, your stroke should relax the further you cast, become less effort.

But the right way to do it is to have someone tape you while casting, if you can't see and self diagnose the issue from that, go for a lesson or three.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

anyone in Durban who can help me?

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    The furthest I've ever thrown a full fly line was about 60m. But I have to admit, there was quite a bit of wind behind me, and the line was still in the box
    Wahahaha I spat sandwich at my computer screen reading that
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

It's so much nicer to have the fish take you into your backing.....
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast