Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TFO Jim Teeny Hype

Default TFO Jim Teeny Hype

Hi guys, ok please share some secret info regarding this rod lol.....what is the best way to cast this rod....I have got a 5wt 10'....as a virgin to fly fishing I would please like to know why this rod will make my life so much better...everyone rants and raves about there's....personally I find it very floppy and heavy....I also manage much better more consistant casts with my Stealth Rise 9'ft 5wt....I have noticed the stiffer the rod the better I cast....if something is as stiff as a steel dropper then I cast better?

Is there something wrong with my technique that I manage to cast better the stiffer the rod is? Anyways, any info would help to try get the most out of my Teeny....if no one can help then I am more than willing to swop it for a 9' 5wt rod of similar value that is stiffer....
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

Nah dude - go with what you get the best results from. All rods dont suit everyone, that is why there are so many choices.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Nah dude - go with what you get the best results from. All rods dont suit everyone, that is why there are so many choices.
    That right there is the truth!

One mans rod is anothers tomato stake.
    Everyone has different actions and styles if you like.

It seems to me you're after a fast rod - look at some of the other models on the market.
    Some of the SAGE rods are so fast, you'd miss them if you blinked but then again, some people can't justify spending those sort of beer coupons on a rod.

Get out to different places and cast rods if you can - you soon know what you like.

Blog Entries

Perhaps get a rod that does not depleat ones beer coupons, practise, get used to casting and more importantly, presenting the fly etc...once you happy, procure a rod that costs plenty beer coupons!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

hahahahahaha thanks guys....I kinda use the forum as a guide...my initial thought.....just by myself a Gloomis NRX....but noooooo....Emjay you are a beginner you are gonna sukkel with it.....seems like it was the route to go from scratch....prob is guys our shops in nellies stock crap...and mavungana is 130km from me....finances are still low on reserve after christmas hahahahahaha....honestly I should have baught the NrX LP when I could...having major commitments this year I will start saving up for one.....

But will also go there and try the other rods first....my experience thus far with a 10' 5wt Jim Teeny...its a heap of..........it's so heavy it makes a 13' surf rod feel light.....I have seen cooked pasta stafter than that rod....and the finish on the rod....I will just leave it there....the cork won't even become part of this discussion, I have honestly seen rods second hand sub R100 that had better cork....sorry I sound iffy but as bass fisherman we look at blank, finish in the form of what guides, how the epoxy has been used....any escess gue on guides....the wrapping on the guides....and then the quality of the cork, real seat, lightness and crispness in the most importantly, does it feel alive in your hands...the Teeny hass absolutely failed with flying colors.....so TFO to me is out the bag....NRX LP, Hardy Zenith, Sage has a few, orvis helios 2, rods along these lines are there for a reason....

once again purchasing a cheaper rod has bit me in the arse....like I said in bass fishing...the best arent the best and most expensive for nothing...I miss the marbilized cork I have on my Zbones.....does any rod manufacturer use marbilized cork at this stage? If they don't it will revolutionise the fly rod industry....
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

6. Default

TFO Axiom is one of the stiffest things I have ever cast. Don't knock TFO based on one rod model.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Blog Entries

I have a 10ft 5wt High Stick Drifter, and a 10ft 2wt ESN. The ESN is awesome, it casts and tight-line nymphs really well, but the HSD is a dog. It collapses the line all the time, the swing weight makes you feel like you are fishing with a 9wt, generally I hated it. I then took it to the Orange where I realised it was perfect for what it is meant to do, czech nymphing. My opinion is that 9ft rods just cast better, for me anyway. I own a few TFO's, and always found the quality acceptable for the price, its not Winston or anything, but definitely matches some of my other, more expensive rods finishes. If you want a real noodle rods check out the TFO Finesse . . .
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Not sure why you struggle as that rod is fast anyways I had 2 of them a few years ago and absolutely loved them. That is *probably" one of the best 5wt rods to have when pulling big fish from fast currents,etc in rivers before you might consider going heavier like say a 6wt, trust me. The rods mentioned played a vital part in my "upbringing" as a no nonsense angler i.e I fish very hard and loose few fish due to the fact that I'm able to pull very hard.

I'd practice some more if I was you cause really it's a very nice rod!
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 19-01-14 at 09:04 AM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Perhaps get a rod that does not depleat ones beer coupons.........!
    Hah ha Shammers.....

Anything associated with flyfishing is meant to part you with beer coupons faster than a wahoo over a hundred meters.

Seriously though, some of the TFO finishes do leave a bit to be desired, but that's not for me to point out.
    There are a couple of better sticks in their range, but tips breaking can be something to take note of.

There are enough other tomato stakes masquerading as fly rods out there and then there are some serious fly rods across a range of makers. IMHO, my advice is to cast as many as you can and make up your own mind what you like.
    It's just one of those moments of a great epiphany casting a great rod as opposed to a good rod.
    A few readily spring to mind.

The high end technology is worth the money, but again, that is something you need to decide on yourself.

Good luck mate.

I was thinking of giving it a bit more time...I was just a bit dissapointed that all....guess I need to get out of the mind frame of having n light responsive rod....unfortunately I am a bit of weight weeny....I think what upset me most was the fact that my Stealth rise feels better, finish is better....cork is better...I was dissapointed because from what I have read about so far the TFO Tenny and Rise shouldnt even be mentioned in the same context....just a tad dissapointing thats all...I expected more....but atleast I have both 9 and 10 ft rods now and sure as time goes on and I learn the different rigs and techniques that it will do the job.

As for the TFO guys out there....this was a personal observation....my statements do not not reflect negatively at any members fishing TFO...these are my own assumptions....I might be new at flysfishing but I am by no means new to fishing....finish on rods stay the same qualifying critea....had a look at n BVK and a TCIXR or what ever the ting is called....in terms of finish....nowhere near Orvis, Gloomis, Sage or even Hardy....is it a well priced functional rod....it seems like it....afterall it's not the grade of cork nor the finish or built quality of a rod that flings the line or cathes a fish....I must say the BVK tickled my fancy a bit....action was nice and colors are brilliant especially the butt section...reminds me of my old NRX bass rods...havent casted it as yet...

But for now I am keeping what I have and learning. In a month or two it will either be a hardy zenith, top of the range sage, gloomis nrx lp maybe even a stream dance....orvis helios 2 or maybe even look at custom.....I am sorry guys but to me things like finish, components and that sort of thing IS very important....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast