Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Building my first rod - HELP!!

have you looked at the Rainshadow blanks? Mike rates them quite highly
    the patient mental...

Ya I had alook and all i could find was:
    IF1005 Oly.Grn. / M. Clr. 10'0" 2psc 5# 0.385 4.5 Med-Fast 1.97 oz. $73.00
    Is a 2 piece though Oh wait! I got a hacksaw!!!

I'll be honest, I don't like 10' blanks myself...but check this out too:

The Rainforest 3-piece 10 foot blank from Pacific Bay (James at J Stockard can get it for you chop chop).
    Model:
    RF2F1005-3 10’ 5wt 3piece MOD-FAST 3.5 0.438” 1.900

http://www.fishpacbay.com/products/r...nks/index.html

I think these blanks are good...planning to get a few myself. Here is the write-up: (I've never tried these blanks, but apparently they are good)

"Now upgraded to IM7 - The Original RainForest with it’s trademark green was designed for the OEM rod manufacturers as a private label item and has been available to all rod builders for several years. Rod builders can also incorporate matching classic reel seats, including our exclusive Channel LockTM design, for a smooth monochromatic look. Our RainForest II features a slightly darker version of previous editions of this highly popular series. Check out our new power blanks with serious actions for serious fishing."

Interesting about the "supplying to private label companies" hey....makes you wonder...WHO.
    Last edited by Michael; 06-06-07 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Been looking through mid-priced blanks and there are just too much to choose from and i have no clue how they compair to each other! I’m looking for a 10" 5# 4pcs nymphing stick. Do you guys know of any good deals? I would like to try and keep it under ZAR500 for the blank. Any suggestions or comparisons or ideas you may have are greatly anticipated!
    I paid less than R500 for my Dorber blank. I got the 9.0' 2wt.
    Be warned though, they use the US postal service, so it takes long, rather ask Jeff to UPS it to you.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Just looked at www.dorber.com, couldent see a 10'. Any other names i should try??
    Raiforest looks good. Any one know what its like to fish?? Still would like to find a 4pcs though... going to forage through mudhole, see what i can find...

Look here. You will see the F1201, F1202, F1203 and F1204. These are all 10' blanks.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Dizzy: Just loked at that link and they only go up to a 4# 2pcs.
    Mike: The rainfoersts looks pretty good. Did you say you were going to order some?? I could'nt find a price though.. am i just not looking hard enough or do i need to get ahold of them??

Was also thinking about machineing a Hardy Marksman reel seat look alike... dont think it wil be too hard??? I'll see if someone would/could do it for me.....
    Last edited by FishWhisperer; 08-06-07 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Dizzy: Just loked at that link and they only go up to a 4# 2pcs.
    Mike: The rainfoersts looks pretty good. Did you say you were going to order some?? I could'nt find a price though.. am i just not looking hard enough or do i need to get ahold of them??

Was also thinking about machineing a Hardy Marksman reel seat look alike... dont think it wil be too hard??? I'll see if someone would/could do it for me.....
    Look at J.Stockard, they sell the Rainforest Blanks, made by Pacific Bay. If the one you want is not listed on the site, then mail James Vick at J.Stockard and ask him to get you a price. (Just mail the "contact us" option on the site, the mail goes to him. UPDATE: Okay the site only offers 9foot blanks, so you will have to mail James and ask him to get you a price and availability.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com

I want to order a Rainforest myself, just not right now as I am busy with a few rods, and my next rod I want is a CTS Affinity One, from New Zealand.
    When are you planning to order?
    Last edited by Michael; 08-06-07 at 09:30 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3