Thread: Price brackets

1. Default Price brackets

Always been interested to hear what you guys would bracket as low, middle and high ito tackle.

For me:
    Rods:
    Low - R500 - R1500
    Middle: R1500 - R4500
    High: R4500 - R8000

Reels:
    Low - R200 - R500
    Middle: R500 - R1200
    High: R1200 - R3500

Lines:
    Low - R100 - R200
    Middle: R200 - R450
    High: R450 - R800

Other??? Feel free to add please.

What do you guys reckon - is tackle becoming a little overpriced? Rods (for example) are nearing the 10K mark easy if you look at some models and brands :-/
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Reels i would say low 200-800
    Middel 900-2000
    High 2100 upwards

Any reel you can find in the local shops these days for under a grand is nothing more than a line holder.

The new 'high end' lines by Airflo and Rio are all around R750-R1K, which I think is ridiculous.

Tackle is definitely becoming overpriced.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

To think those Abels of mine are currently going for +- R11250 per reel depending on the finish and other customizations is just plain madness! Simms G4 waders +- R10000 if you bring it in yourself and that's hoping someone is fast asleep when assigning the duty tariff at customs...crazy! If it goes through as clothing add another 4k yipee!!! Tackle have become more expensive than monthly bond repayments.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 30-01-14 at 08:54 AM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

With the Randollar going pear shaped, we will end up making waders like they used to do in the old "east block" countries.

The older competitors that competed in the World Fly fishing champs, in the pre 1990 days, described how some of the "East block" competitors arrived with waders made from discarded sections of inner tubes of tyres, cut and glued, into waders.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

6. Default

I reckon that high has become the new mid???
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I think that everything has gone crazy, not just fishing tackle. Basically we have to live with it, and understand that it is directly linked to the exchange rate. Fortunatly when buying good equipment these days, it can las for many years, and once the initial shock is over, a good piece of equipment will far out last a mediochre piece. The problem comes in when you skill levels advance, and you want to try different things, and and then you find that your purchase of a few years ago, doesn't do it for you anymore. Fortunatly for me, I have collected my stuff over many years, and have a basic arsenal that's going to last me forever hopefully. I cant say that there is anything that I currently need, and looking to the future, cant see me buying another rod , reel, line, tying vise, or anything really for several years to come. In fact I have sold off most of my stuff, and reverted back tom an arsenal of quality basics. All y rods have a lifetime guarantee, my reels are quality, and I have top of the line boots and waders, so Im organised, but I feel for the guys who need to go shopping.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.