Thread: Bird of Prey Trophy Dam 02/02/2014

Default Bird of Prey Trophy Dam 02/02/2014

Ok guys...so this whole week couldn't possibly go any slower. I was so excited as this Sunday would be my first proper trout fishing outing with a fly rod. Our venue of choice was the Bird of Prey trphy dam in Dullstroom.

We set off for Dullstroom from Nelspruit at 3:30am. Got to Brid of Prey at around 05:30. Wrong stop, missed the turnoff to the trophy dam in the mist. although we did finally managed to get there around 6am after scouting about and checking google maps.
    The scenery was gorgeous with the sun climbing through the mist. Although apparently not ideal as temperatures have been very high in dullies lately and is said to make for some very tough fishing pppffftttt (you try bass fishing in the heat of summer during a cold front or straight after the first heavy rains)...so we weren't deterred at all...my excitement wouldn't allow for this.

Started of with a few flies after noticing some fish rising...no topwater takers...no pappa roach takers...but the old faithfull Olive Wooly Bugger did the trick. Cast next to a weedy patch, they said slow presentation...so next moment a fish rises next to me and I think to myself lets get the fly to it asap...started stripping frantically to get line in for a repeat cast and the next moment it seemed like a submarine came out the weeds in the direction of my line....bam!!! fish on....nice long fight...hoping that the fish wouldn't come off as this was my first trout on a fly rod...landed her...took a bit of reviving and she was off....no idea what she weighed but she was 50cm (49.4cms to be exact).
    trout pose.jpg

The rest of the morning saw about 4 fish for me all over a kg but none quite the size of my first. The bite then went dead and after my mates son had a terrible tooth ache we decided to pack up just after lunch time...it's a pitty as the fish only started rising again as we left and the first of the raindrops started coming down. All and all it was a very good morning and one that I will never ever forget. Thanks to all of you who have helped with tips and so on...

P.S Just got the new TCFF mag and I am the winner of a new Horizon XRS fly rod....too stoked...

This trout was my smallest for the outing...
    trout.jpg
    Last edited by emjaysmit; 03-02-14 at 04:03 PM.
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

Well done on the fish Emjay, especially for your first outing.

Even though I know nothing about Troot, the fish in the last pic just looks wrong to me ?????

The colouration, mouth formation , etc.

Please can some of the troot boffins clear this up for me ?????????
    Last edited by Herman Jooste; 03-02-14 at 08:48 PM.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

It's just covered in mud...
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

correct Scythe...Herman the dam recently had n redo and I had to step off the casting platform...the water was super shallow and the soil was very loose and muddy from the earthmoving equipment...the moment I started wading around in the shallows the mud and soil swirled up...took the first fish out after a long fight for pics and as a result it almost didn't make it...would have been gutted if my first and one that size nogal didn't make it....took some serious reviving...didnt have waders on and after it went belly up in the water I didn't think twice about jumping waist deep into the water with it...a few tense moments and it was strong like bull again...whipped some water into my face and sped of into the deep...

So not wanting to take another chance like that I rather opted to quickly snap in the water and release immediately. Lost the fish of a lifetime....my mate saw a swirl...cast to it and nothing...gave him the curtesey to finish off on his spot first...switched positions and proceeded with the cast....started stripping and all of a sudden a BUS clobered it just sub surfice....my hands are still dumb with stripping vs reeling....so after it was close I wanted to go down to her with 15 odd meters of line on the floor....kept tension and started retrieving the excess line....she sped off towards me...slack...fish off....not cool
    Last edited by emjaysmit; 03-02-14 at 10:20 PM.
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

good to year bird of prey is fishing well again after being drained ... think i'll give it a couple more months before trying it again though!
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

I don't think it was completely drained...the fish are soooo fat and well conditioned....some of them cruizing with fins clear out the water...saw a absolute giant right next the casting platform leaving the grassy point...don't even want to estimante the weight but it was well over 5kg's...wen't numb in the knees...a 3.5kg and a 4.2kg came out the Saturday. 4kg+ fish have ben coming out plenty, weather might not be on our side but there as some real brutes in there...every single fish we caught was descent...

I will surely be back in the near future to hunt the giant that I saw...I am convinced there are fish over 6kg's in there..some of the rises were spectacular and when the bite was as aggressive as it was with us it's simply awesome...