Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: What trout rods do you own?

Default What trout rods do you own?

I have one too many fly rods as im sure the rest of the fanatics here do as well.
    Would be great if you could list your trout rods here with a score out of ten for how happy you are with the rod overall.Ill start...

Sage xp 590-4 ...9
    Sage One 590-4 ...9
    T&T Horizon 486-4 ...8
    Winston GVX 486-4 ...8
    Sage Zxl 386-4 ...7
    Orvis Ultrafine 279-2 ...7 (early 80's)

Own now, or have owned? I have owned a few that I was quite happy with. Sold or broken in the meantime.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

current inventory mario

I don't own any trout rods, I do however own a bunch of flyrods, can someone please educate me by posting a picture/link/something about these trout rods?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Barrio LT 8'6 3-weight in a Centre Axis config (9/10) #blank
    TXL 00710 - (10/10 for it's intended application)
    TXL-F 4710 (8/10 - could be a tad longer)
    Carbon 8'0 1-weight from Japan (7/10) #blank
    H2O (US Flyshop brand) 9'0 5-weight for stillwaters (8/10) #blank
    7'6 3/4-weight bamboo rod I made for myself on a Payne 97 taper (3/10 just because its badly made )
    Blue Halo Glass 7'6 3-weight (7to 8/10 - limited to certain application) #blank
    7'3 3-weight glass (unbranded) (7 to 8/10 - limited to certain application) #blank
    6'6 2-weight glass (unbranded) (9/10 - for intended application) #blank
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    I don't own any trout rods, I do however own a bunch of flyrods, can someone please educate me by posting a picture/link/something about these trout rods?
    Those are all I own So have a look at my list
    Mario Geldenhuys

thanks mario,nice list there...i see only one rod there gets a 10,and thats the txl...are there other rods that you would give a 10 that you dont currently have?

lol, mine are a bit inferior as I have only been flyfishing for almost 2 months but have 6 currently....will upgrade to Gloomis NRX's though....just believe in them....they make up half of my bass rods and if they built the best bass rod in world I am sure they build the best fly rod too....they wouldnt put the Gloomis name on it if it wasn't....cast two Sages this weekend....a 1 and then some limited edition Sage thingy....just doesn't stir my soul like the NRX LP...not even by a long shot....
    Last edited by emjaysmit; 17-02-14 at 03:53 PM.
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

lol just had to say that...hahahahaha no fights intended guys....personal preference...and don't take me seriously I am still a newby and still have worlds to learn....
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    thanks mario,nice list there...i see only one rod there gets a 10,and thats the txl...are there other rods that you would give a 10 that you dont currently have?
    TXL got a 10 ito application suitability. The other 10 would be a ZXL 486 in my book. The ESN 2100 is VERY close to a 10 too. Another 9.99 was the T&T Whisper Lite in a 8'0 4-weight. Winston BiiX 3-weight also blew me away!! Tempted to give it a 10.5. Old SPL was another 10-er.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast