Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SA's five greatest trout streams

The Big and Little Pot at Maclear is amazing.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Bokspruit ( upper)
    Bushmans ( upper & Middle)
    Karenmelk

very special streams !

3. Default

The KMS has been very up-and-down in the past 8 years, otherwise it would have made my list in a heartbeat!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

again, what is a river, and what is a stream? I assumed that we were talking trout waters. The Moolenaars and all the smalblaar run parallel to the N1. If you didn't notice the highway, you were most definatly fishing somewhere else. I unfortunately find it most irritating, and tend to fish those sections far less than the Elandspad, and Holsloot, but yes, the trout waters of the Cape are special.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    The odd times that I have fished the "public" water in the Cape has been great. I was so enthralled by the river that I did not notice the highway and traffic (I assume there were cars scooting past) except on the way in, and out.

A top stream is also very subjective. For me, a stream is just that - a stream, not a river. Therefore the Kraai, Maletsunyane etc does not qualify - imho they are rivers. Then again, that is also subjective.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    The Moolenaars and all the smalblaar run parallel to the N1. If you didn't notice the highway, you were most definatly fishing somewhere else.
    Trust me, I was on the SB/Molenaars. I just blocked out the stuff that was not amazing water and stunning fish :-D Is that not what fishing is supposed to do anyway?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Andre, I think you have your beats mixed up. The Molenaars (except for the last two hundred metres) is as far away from the highway as beat two on the Elandspad. You've been poaching all along or maybe you've been too lazy to actually fish the beat from the beginning......

Okay so it seems impossible to pick a top 5, as there aren't 5 streams that stand out head and shoulders above the rest. So if we went for top 10, then maybe the list would read:

1. Upper Bell
    2. Upper Bushmens
    3. Bokspruit
    4. Maletsunyane
    5. Kraai River
    6. Upper Elandspad
    7. Sterkspruit
    8. Witte
    9. Upper Riflespruit
    10. BLYDE????? Only cause I know it well, now sadly closed to the public
    "Only when the last tree has died,and the last river has been poisoned,and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed

Yes, in places the river does run away from the highway to a few hundred meters, and yes its amazing water to fish. Im not trying to detract from the beauty of it , but for me, the highway spoils it slightly, except for some of the beats where there is some distance from the road. Yes, in my old age I have become lazy....
    Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Andre, I think you have your beats mixed up. The Molenaars (except for the last two hundred metres) is as far away from the highway as beat two on the Elandspad. You've been poaching all along or maybe you've been too lazy to actually fish the beat from the beginning......
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12