Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maybe a 9ft 4wt is what i need?

Default Maybe a 9ft 4wt is what i need?

Hi Guys
    My previous post was a request for a 3wt.Thanks all for the great advice there and what i now know is that i need something between 9-10ft for river work.I originally wanted something under 8ft,but ive seen the benefits of a longer rod.Ive just acquired George Daniels brilliant book,"Dynamic Nymphing".He proposes fishing mainly two rods.A 4 or 5wt between 9-10ft.He makes a great case for these rods lengths.
    I cannot stretch my budget to R8000 for a new stick,so i will look for something on ebay,2nd hand or nearly new.Shipping no problem as i have a friend from california coming to stay in march.
    So i will look for that elusive 9ft+ 3wt but now im considering a 9ft 4wt(more popular on ebay).The step up from the 3wt to a 4wt has the benefit of being a great rod for both dams & rivers,because i feel undergunned with a 3wt on the dams i fish.Im also a stickler for multi piece rods for the travel & convenience factor.
    Which of you guys has used/fished/own a cracker 9ft 4wt that you can recommend.I prefer a med-fast to fast rod.Rods ive been looking at include the Orvis helios & H2;Sage One;Winston B3X;Scott Radian;Loomis Nrx or Glx.
    Thanks in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Hi Guys
    My previous post was a request for a 3wt.Thanks all for the great advice there and what i now know is that i need something between 9-10ft for river work.I originally wanted something under 8ft,but ive seen the benefits of a longer rod.Ive just acquired George Daniels brilliant book,"Dynamic Nymphing".He proposes fishing mainly two rods.A 4 or 5wt between 9-10ft.He makes a great case for these rods lengths.
    I cannot stretch my budget to R8000 for a new stick,so i will look for something on ebay,2nd hand or nearly new.Shipping no problem as i have a friend from california coming to stay in march.
    So i will look for that elusive 9ft+ 3wt but now im considering a 9ft 4wt(more popular on ebay).The step up from the 3wt to a 4wt has the benefit of being a great rod for both dams & rivers,because i feel undergunned with a 3wt on the dams i fish.Im also a stickler for multi piece rods for the travel & convenience factor.
    Which of you guys has used/fished/own a cracker 9ft 4wt that you can recommend.I prefer a med-fast to fast rod.Rods ive been looking at include the Orvis helios & H2;Sage One;Winston B3X;Scott Radian;Loomis Nrx or Glx.
    Thanks in advance...
    Seems you *really* need to make up your own mind, since listening to others' opinions in SA seems to be secondary.
    George fishes different and generally BIGGER rivers than what you would find for trout in SA.
    I won't bother replying anymore on this topic from you.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Seems you *really* need to make up your own mind, since listening to others' opinions in SA seems to be secondary.
    George fishes different and generally BIGGER rivers than what you would find for trout in SA.
    I won't bother replying anymore on this topic from you.
    Please DONT then...no need to be arrogant

I seriously doubt that you need a 4wt. Our conditions in SA require our trout fishing to be done at much closer range than in Europe and the US, and out equipment as such. George bases his reccommendations on his local conditions, and if were asked to recommend a rod suitable for close range work, or pocket waters, he would recommend something else. Basically..you are forgetting rule number 1... which is to evaluate the waters you are going to be fishing, and choose rod that is suitable for the conditions , and the way that you are going to fish. It seems that you are too tackle focussed, and not enough fishing focussed. Forget about how the rod casts, or the wind etc. a 00wt will work just as well in wind as a 3wt, but look at what is needed to be best used in the particular river that you are going to be fishing. Especially if you are planning to do a lot of nymphing. So.. if you would let us know where your home waters are, or where you plan on doing most of your fishing, tell us how you plan to fish it, and then we can make some recommendations, and give you the reasoning behind the reccomendations. But.. forget about the wind, its not going to be a factor in choosing a rod, as any rod will work in any wind that is comfortable to fish in. If the wind is too strong for the rod, then you should be at home tying flies anyway.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I have a 9ft 4wt TFO Jim Teeny which I really like. I often fish it over my 3wt on the streams. It does close range very nicely and I have fished 8x tippet with it without issues. I am talking about using it mostly for dry fly, but my dad uses it often for nymphing and it is awesome for that too. It is also surprisingly light and is just generally a very comfortable rod to fish with. If you are choosing 1 rod for the SA rivers I would still say go with a 3wt in 9 - 10ft. For the stillwater side of things I have seen a photo of Mark Krige with a +-10lb trout taken in some private/club stillwater. It was taken on an Echo shadow 10ft 3wt.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Zoran mentioned the Epic. Now I have been looking at these blanks for quite some time now and I just couldn't get the whole hype over it on International forums. So last night I was at Derek Smith and I took my Scott F2 3wt 7' glass rod with as this is just something amazing and fishing smallstreams with this rod is unbelievable.

Now some of you would now that I have mentioned before that the only words to describe the F2, would be to play in a romantic comedy opposite Jennifer Anniston and have the steamiest love scene ever on the Silver Screen and have every man gay, or straight and this includes Bradd Pitt, envy and hate you at the same time wishing that they too can have a chance. Well is the F2 really that good? No, its better!!!!

Well that was till I had a cast with the Epic. I had a cast with the 8' 4wt. Now what impressed me was that normally you get spigot ferrules on a glass rod, but not on the Epic. It slots in just like modern fly rods. The finish of the blanks are world class, word has it that CTS is actually building these for Epic. So what is my thoughts after I had a cast with the Epic?

It rolls line out beautifully on short, long.......agh, lets just say on any cast. It is dead accurate on any cast and I am not a good caster. Should you buy one? Hell, yeah!!! Every flyfisherman should have one.

In short I now know why Brad dumped Jenny for Angie. I think an Angie in 7'6" 3wt is just the right medicine for my bruised heart.

The other rod that really impressed me was the Circa 8'9" 4wt. I am familiar with the 2wt, but I was pleasantly surprised by the little 4wt. Casts like a dream and this rod would most certainly handle a dry quite well on a stream or for Yellows on Sterkies. Even this rod makes a amateur caster like myself look like a pro. Casting with this rod is effortless on short and long casts. Oh and it will roll that dry out perfectly every time.

This is for sure another must have as this is the closest most people would get to Cindy Crawford.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    word has it that CTS is actually building these for Epic
    Known fact, not just word.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    The other rod that really impressed me was the Circa 8'9" 4wt. I am familiar with the 2wt, but I was pleasantly surprised by the little 4wt. Casts like a dream and this rod would most certainly handle a dry quite well on a stream or for Yellows on Sterkies. Even this rod makes a amateur caster like myself look like a pro. Casting with this rod is effortless on short and long casts. Oh and it will roll that dry out perfectly every time.
    Koos, while the Circa excels at dry fly, the only thing deterring me from getting one is that it cannot handle heavy nymphs

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    I have a 9ft 4wt TFO Jim Teeny which I really like.
    Had two of these babies as well fished it for SM Yellows on dry from a float tube very lekke stick it was!
    Gerrit Viljoen

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    Koos, while the Circa excels at dry fly, the only thing deterring me from getting one is that it cannot handle heavy nymphs
    Stanton on the smaller weights you might be correct.

From 4wt up, you can do just about anything. Even land big Carp like Erin did....
    http://mysteriesinternal.blogspot.co...review_10.html

I know that a lot of guys swears by the ZXL 4wt 8'6" as the best all round stream rod and with good reason.
    But I would like to put the Circa 4wt 8'9" right up there with the ZXL. If you look at the diameter of the butt you would swear that it's a 2wt because it's so thin. When you cast it, it almost feels like a 3wt but that thin butt assures you that it has some backbone in it, so I would have no worries landing Big River Trout or Yellows on Sterkies. This rod feels very light in hand and when you look at it you think, would this rod be able to do what I want. Casting it actually boggles your mind, because it's so smooth, elegant, precise, not that fast, but it can still whip a mean line out. I had a cast in the rain and wind and I am blown away. Short to long casts is delivered without effort.

I see the 5wt didn't do too bad in 2013 5wt shoot out. Would love to cast or fish that rod.
    I love the feel of the Superfine Touch and I was seriously contemplating on building myself a slow action 5wt.
    The Circa changed my mind completely. I am just not sure if I want to choose a 5wt over that 4wt.

This rod is hands down the Cindy Crawford of modern rods.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast