Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A couple of Blue Halos in the making

Mario - SO tune me whats the deal with reverting to Glass again? Bamboo I understand because of the aesthetics and the rich history and the hand crafting etc etc etc blah blah blah...

But Glass? Whats the deal? Is this a follow on of the trend towards all things Retro ( instragram filters, hipsters wearing their grand parents old clothes, hipsters using ssh1tty little film camera again etc etc ) or is there genuine reason one would choose one of these over a top end new Sage/Scott/Orvis etc... aside from the funky colours of course..

I'm not taking a dig, I'm genuinely curious.. and as always, looking for an excuse to buy more tackle! :-)
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    or is there genuine reason one would choose one of these over a top end new Sage/Scott/Orvis etc... aside from the funky colours of course..
    To be honest, no, there is no good reason. Mostly glass *should* be a lot cheaper than what it is. But with marketing being what it is, it is being priced quite highly. The Redington Butter Stick is the only rod that really (in my mind) is a good buy ito price. All the others are a little expensive imho, but at about 4k-kk for a really high end build it's not the 8k - 9k you'll pay for the carbon premium sticks.

As Neil mentioned, performance-wise you won't ever match carbon, but that's not why you get glass. Glass is that between boo and carbon thing - not as heavy as boo, but gives you the same feeling, just lighter, and these days a little more responsive too.

Glass never went away, same as bamboo, it's just that it has been given a bit of a lift with the funky colours you get these days, new tapers, butt-over-sleeve ferrules and the odd little improvement ito how it's rolled (at least, that is what the guys rolling them say).

So, I guess there is no *real* reason to get glass, but then again, it's similar to any new model of carbon that replaces the previous one.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

One of the Halos in action in Rhodes recently. You will see more of this rod in the near future, the owner will make sure of that

Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post

Nice!
    Couldn't help but wonder if an Elbe line wouldn't compliment the "look" a little better
    Last edited by BenzoV; 24-04-14 at 02:39 PM.

Great shots MArio... and nicely "Styled" too.... colour coordinated just right.... Howler Bros cap setting it off too...
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    Nice!
    Couldn't help but wonder if an Elbe line wouldn't compliment the "look" a little better
    Why would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    Great shots MArio... and nicely "Styled" too.... colour coordinated just right.... Howler Bros cap setting it off too...
    Not my shots Nepps - taken by Pieter's missus (I think) ....
    Mario Geldenhuys

Why would that be?
    Photo on 2014-04-24 at 15.28.jpg

'tis a 9weight, but we talking colour.

I'd rather go for the Monic, Hardy or even Blue Halo's own range of lines above the Elbe ...

Mario Geldenhuys

Beautiful photographs. This one suggests the blank might benefit from an extra guide to reduce the spacings from about middle upwards.
    The highest form of existence is play.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast