Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: A couple of Blue Halos in the making

Quote Originally Posted by William Ewels View Post
    Beautiful photographs. This one suggests the blank might benefit from an extra guide to reduce the spacings from about middle upwards.
    8 guides on that 7'6 in the picture - during the bend test the line follows the curved quite nicely on the ones I built so far (used different spacing than the factory BH, but also used 8 guides), but quite possible to add another if you work it out properly. If that is what one would do, I really would suggest using ultrafine or RECoil guides though.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    8 guides on that 7'6 in the picture - during the bend test the line follows the curved quite nicely on the ones I built so far ...
    Yes I certainly see the line follows the rod bend exceptionally sweetly on pic where rod is loaded with fish on - deep bend with lower guides supporting the line all the way into the butt area which is absolutely perfect. During casting up the top half the rod speed is faster so when accelerated or stopped it's more likely for the line's momentum to make it depart from straight and sag a little into the gaps between guides (which can add friction to line shoot). But then an extra guide in the top half will add swing weight and bounce. Difficult trade off. I've had a similar dilemma building Sage TXL 00wt that bends deep into the butt section therefore wanting the guides all shifted downwards according to static flex test - so ended up with extra guide in the top half to compensate. And yes I agree - the lighter RECoil guides were the best solution :smile:
    The highest form of existence is play.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4