Thread: Explorer Classic 2 ,2/3 & Okuma 280S reel:Is this setup OK for Trout?

Default Explorer Classic 2 ,2/3 & Okuma 280S reel:Is this setup OK for Trout?

Got this setup,as mentioned in heading,from a guy who knows a guy,who knows a guy,who knows a guy...lol.

Anyway this other guy,that's me,lol, hasn't got a 'flying' clue if this Fly Combo up will be adequate for Trout.

Rod:Is This Rod any good,think its Explorer 763,heard fair reports about explorer series,just not sure on this size?Will I lose more than catch?

Reel:Is The Okuma 280S any good,or should I throw it out for something more conducive to trout catching?

There's 2 controls on the reel and doesn't seem to be for drag,as it makes no diffs if I adjust them.They look like volume controls.

Maybe a dumb question,but do Fly Reels generally have a drag system?

I'm a newby,admittedly, but Don't want to start out with wrong equipt.

Thanks in advance.

Hi man, depends where you are catching these trout.
    Rather get a faster action 4-5 or 6 weight rod to start learning to cast with.
    You have to really wait for the Classic II to get the best out of them. (good thing later on but not when you are learning in my opinion)
    For a really cheap reel look at the Sensation VIking that is a re-badged Martin reel; it has a functional drag system.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Got this setup,as mentioned in heading,from a guy who knows a guy,who knows a guy,who knows a guy...lol.

Anyway this other guy,that's me,lol, hasn't got a 'flying' clue if this Fly Combo up will be adequate for Trout.

Rod:Is This Rod any good,think its Explorer 763,heard fair reports about explorer series,just not sure on this size?Will I lose more than catch?

Reel:Is The Okuma 280S any good,or should I throw it out for something more conducive to trout catching?

There's 2 controls on the reel and doesn't seem to be for drag,as it makes no diffs if I adjust them.They look like volume controls.

Maybe a dumb question,but do Fly Reels generally have a drag system?

I'm a newby,admittedly, but Don't want to start out with wrong equipt.

Thanks in advance.
    Hey Walt,

What is your budget?

I agree with shark_za on the 5/6 - its easier to learn to cast with a slightly heavier rod and its more versatile. The explorer classics are good for starting out - you do see them quite often pop up second hand because many people start out with them and then either upgrade a year later or quit. Cant comment much on the reel as I dont know it.

Hi Walt,

I think lets try compare it to something you know - Rock and Surf rods.

I would say that the Explorer rods are the equivalent of the Loomis and Franklins/Poseidons of the rock and surf world. They are definitely not the worst out there but you would not really expect them to last a lifetime and the quality of the finishes wouldn't really be that great compared to the Pentagons or others in that caliber.

Then within the Xplorer brand you will have different ranges. I would say that the Classic Series of fly rods would be a Standard Modulus Poseidon rods, where the Explorer Guide 2 series of Xplorer rods would be like the HMG series of poseidons.

The line weights would be similar to the Poseidon weightings like Ultra-Light, Light, Medium, Heavy ,Extra Heavy, where each can handle different size baits and also size of fish.

The 2/3 weight would be an ultra-light - used for small fish casting small baits (well flies in this case :-) ).

I think that's a fair comparison - would be interesting to hear what the others say.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Lol - a friend of mine just said to me - it is more like Shimano Exage! :-(

Sorry - when comparing 2/3 weight to Ultra light - i don't mean that a 2/3 weight can catch a fish that a Ultra light surf stick could catch - just that relative to the spectrum they are both on the very light side.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Thanks for comments,and this confirms my motivation for putting thread up.Will get the right gear first,as mentioned by replies,and value comments and time put into answering my queries.

Will put flyfishing on hold until I do find the adequate gear to maximise performance as a Fly Newby.

Thanks
    'Getting & Spending Lay waste to our Powers,
    Nothing we see about us is Ours'

walt go check out the rods section in the forum and make me an offer....thats the perfect kit for you to start off with...the reel is very good quality and will fit on any brand rod for as long as you wish to fish it and wont be out of place on any expensive rod....very strong smooth drag...in actual fact the drag....
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

Basically, you will catch trout with this setup. The trout don't know what kind of rod it is. For your river fishing for trout, you will need to know how to use the rod according to the conditions of the river where you will be using it, and if you can get that right, you will get fish. So learn about how your river behaves, and how best to fish it. Most trout rivers in the Cape in particular, require short accurate casts, and this style of fishing needs to be learned, as short casting is as technical as long casting. Your leader setup is also going to be an important factor, so to get the whole outfit working well, you are going to have to take some time to get your leader setups working.
    I see that most guys are recommending a fast rod. Well my opinion, is the opposite, I would recommend a slower rod. Basically you will have better protection of light tippets, especially in the "excited strike" that novices tend to do when a trout eats the fly. Also slower actioned rods are easier and more forgiving to make casts with, especially short casts.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.