Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rajeff on fiberglass

Default Rajeff on fiberglass

He doesn't seem very convinced, does he? I'd love to have a good glass rod myself, but it's amazing how many rod makers are just jumping on the bandwagon. Not sure if this move suits their brand very well.

2. Default

Seems pretty stoked and convinced about it to me.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Seems pretty stoked and convinced about it to me.
    Really? I really suck at reading people I guess. (not being sarcastic)

BTW, is there such a thing as a single wells grip??

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    Really? I really suck at reading people I guess. (not being sarcastic)

BTW, is there such a thing as a single wells grip??
    I really thought he was quite cool about it, and happy about the blank they are producing.

I would not break my head over the name of it
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

This makes me laugh. Really.

The marketing guys just do'nt know where to go or what "new" and "better" product they can promote, so they've gone retro. If fibreglass was so good, back in the day, carbon would never have rendered it obsolete.

Everything he says is true. It is smooth, the blank is heavy and hence loads the line easily. A downlocker is required to counterbalance the heavy blank.

What he does'nt say is how easily fibreglass (unlike carbon or split-cane) deforms in cross section under moderate or heavier loads and flatly refuses to transmit any more energy.

I fished with many before the advent of carbon and they worked fine at close range fishing. The first carbon Sages were a complete revelation. Much lighter and had an unbelievable range. We suddenly had rods that worked fine at close range but also had the capability of a long range cast to cover those long pools we sometimes encounter on our streams.

What he does'nt tell you is how much cheaper glass is as a raw material.

So, if the marketers can convince you to "upgrade" to the "new and improved" or "fast" grp, they will sell you these new rods at a much better margin for themselves.

And the funny thing, to me anyway, is that a lot of suckers will fall for it. (watch this thread....)

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    What he does'nt say is how easily fibreglass (unlike carbon or split-cane) deforms in cross section under moderate or heavier loads and flatly refuses to transmit any more
    Hence the OD of these things.

Buying glass is not because it's new or better, because it's not. It is getting back to a slower pace again, a great break from the Jeremy Clarkson school of thought where speed and power wins every challenge
    Mario Geldenhuys

Ever heard of Sage Circa? Slower pace without the lack of performance that glassfibre has. The larger OD is exactly the problem. Under load the section deforms into an oval shape and effectvely "collapses".

Interesting that a rod manufacturer that isn't even on the radar.... is putting so much emphasis on an antiquated technology. They cant cut it in the real world, so they have to "invent" a marketing gimmick to catch dumb suckers who don't know any better. Its like an obscure car manufacturer, suddenly deciding to re manufacture a vintage model, and using marketing spin to convince the stupid sect that its better than the modern way of doing things. Sorry... but this is a laugh a minute.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Interesting that a rod manufacturer that isn't even on the radar.... is putting so much emphasis on an antiquated technology. They cant cut it in the real world, so they have to "invent" a marketing gimmick to catch dumb suckers who don't know any better. Its like an obscure car manufacturer, suddenly deciding to re manufacture a vintage model, and using marketing spin to convince the stupid sect that its better than the modern way of doing things. Sorry... but this is a laugh a minute.
    Almost like Caterham still makes wooden chassis for their sports cars?

You are right about the marketing thing, but wrong about these things in hand. They are beautiful to fish with (for those that like a slower pace). New, better, not really. A new spin on things, yes, def!!! I like glass, a lot!!
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    That is a bit narrow minded, Scott and Hardy have had glass for quite a while. Not because it is better, cause some people like something different

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast