Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Flytalk Wooly Bugger

Default Ultimate Flytalk Wooly Bugger

Hi Gents
    I would like to build the ultimate woolly bugger and I thought I would ask everyone to help me brain storm until we can decide on a basic design.
    What do you regard as the ultimate in terms of material used, hooks, weight, heads/ no heads, colour and tecnique. I will build the fly and do a SBS on it once we have a pretty picture. The idea is to do the same with all the basic fly patterns we do and start an Ultimate fly section under the SBS.

Now shoot!

Palmer with CDC instead of hackle.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

This thread should be interesting, I been tying some buggers this week trying to come up with something a bit different been mixing sparkle dubbing and cdc together in a dubbing loop and then making a rope with the hackle and loop which is quite nice.

My vote goes to my CDC Bugger, just klap the dude who tied in that weird looking weedguard!

I would look at incorporating the following to make it ultimate otherwise just go to the nearest Fly shop and buy those R5 Woolies:

Hook has to be B10S or Dohiku.

1) Eyes or bead you have to choose one.
    2) Tail guard from foam or other I know my choice.
    3) Has to be Marabou, maybe black?
    4) Subtle amount of flash I like blue a lot.
    5) Body can be anything maybe a nice peacock coloured dubbing blend or HE SLF?
    6) Palmered hackle if you want?
    7) Ribbing? I donno man what for? Unless you're going for the hackled look.
    8) Nice CDC collar/head or soft hen feather to finish off.
    9) Some sort of weedless fly.
    10) Hot thread head or collar depends on what you chose at "1"

IMG_5435.jpg
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 20-02-14 at 12:19 PM.

Mario
    I do not agree.( This post might get long.) If you use hackle you disturb more water fishing deep and the lateral line of the fish picks it up easier than CDC which is soft. Hackle is cheaper but that would not count on the ultimate fly.
    I think CDC has other effects like if your woolly bugger is fished higher in the water column you will trap air which will be effective. So now it's horses for coarses?
    Jannie

Quote Originally Posted by Glans View Post
    Mario
    I do not agree.( This post might get long.) If you use hackle you disturb more water fishing deep and the lateral line of the fish picks it up easier than CDC which is soft. Hackle is cheaper but that would not count on the ultimate fly.
    I think CDC has other effects like if your woolly bugger is fished higher in the water column you will trap air which will be effective. So now it's horses for coarses?
    Jannie
    I don't agree Jannie, you get pretty long CDC feathers hey (Swisscdc) depends on what you do with them and how you incorporate them into your fly. Here's a thought; what if your CDC is UV treated and your cheap chinese hackle not? Which will reflect more light? It could be argued that treated cdc with an assumed lesser action is more valuable in deep water than cheap hackle that does nothing other than wiggle a bit more (assuming your hackle is 1.5 times the gape of the hook or more otherwise it won't have that much more action) in water than CDC.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 20-02-14 at 12:34 PM.

Mario
    Jannie
    for dirty water or fishing at night I am with Jannie - a hackled woolly bugger will displace more water and attract more fish. For clearer water I would go with a mixed cdc and brushed dubbing body. The question might then be if the cdc and dubbing version could be called a woolly bugger?
    Last edited by dlampert; 20-02-14 at 12:39 PM.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Mario
    Jannie
    The movement CDC provides will outweigh (imo) the amount of noise the fly makes with a hackled rib.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    for dirty water or fishing at night I am with Jannie - a hackled woolly bugger will displace more water and attract more fish. For clearer water I would go with a mixed cdc and brushed dubbing body. The question might then be if the cdc and dubbing version could be called a woolly bugger?
    What about adding those little plastic cone thingies to push water and add noise?
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    What about adding those little plastic cone thingies to push water and add noise?
    Might as well fish art lure for bass then ;-)
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast