Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jam fly

Only 1 way to find out Paul... Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Hi Paul,

I don't find them that spooky, not when they're feeding at least. The technique with the jam, and most other prawn flies, is to drop the fly on the fishes head as it tails. When they're doing handstands they aren't too spooky. Thats what enables us to present heavyish flies without clearing the flat. Sure, if you try and put a fly a meter in front of a cruising fish it get the hell out of dodge. But that is the trick, to only present as the fish tails, so that the fly is in the mud or sand cloud. This is unique to the western cape though.

Ive been lucky enough to catch them in 5 different river systems (on 8 different flies) and each has its own "code". I think the secret is discovering that there is not secret at all. Jannie and I had a discussion on this Friday. What gets beginners is not just the presentation problem, it is that they don't understand the fishes movements and feeding behaviour. And often, we'll fish an area that others fly fishing think is deserted with no feeding activity, when on closer inspection, its absolutely thick with fish. After many hours on the flats those subtle hints will be picked up and you'll be able to spot tailing fish even from the surface tension, so its an exponential success curve as your technique, fish spotting ability, and fly tying ability come together. Then one day you look back and realise that if you can find them and they're tailing, you can catch them.

Its definitely worth trying the same technique we use (i.e putting the fly on the fishes head as it tailed), it might be tricky on lesser moon phases to spot them, but you'll get used to it. There are some guys in the UAE that catch them on worm flies and clousers while stalking them at night.

Don't be discouraged, get out and chase them. There is no secret or code, just effort.
    Last edited by petercoetzee; 17-03-14 at 09:56 AM.
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Hi Peter
    Your take on lines?
    floater or intermediate or di3?
    Most people prefer a floater for such shallow water, but one "below the radar" grunter hunter, reckons his best line is di3.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

... or cast a very small, say 1 - 1.5 inch, white baitfish pattern or surf candy at them - you may just be surpried by what you catch!:biggrin:

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Hi Peter
    Your take on lines?
    floater or intermediate or di3?
    Most people prefer a floater for such shallow water, but one "below the radar" grunter hunter, reckons his best line is di3.
    Hi Korrie, a floater. Presentations are close range and in shallow water, i can't imagine what the point of of a di3 would be…

this below the radar hunter live in the eastern cape by any chance? Those fish will chase clousers, etc so it makes sense for them, especially when they're attacking the banks in balls like they do in the swartkops.
    Last edited by petercoetzee; 24-03-14 at 02:40 PM.
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2