Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: River fishing at Navarone

Thanks Wesd, for the feedback. Yes the majority of the fish I saw in the river was the size you are showing. And with the water being so small I guess short line is the way to go. If one stayed low, and kept movements to a minimum I did notice the fish calmed down, and started going about their business, even though they could obviously still see you. And short line would cut down on movement, which I guess is the key here.

What is really nice is that the fish are obviously wild, naturally spawning trout. Lake Navarone is such a nice place to stay, that I will certainly go back.

Pleasure, i was basically wading barefoot and in shorts to minimize the noise i was making (fortunately i dont feel the cold haha) and fishing the heavier water as i said, riffles and pocket water mainly, so the chances of being spotted were less with the rolling white water. I didnt do any sight fishing at all and most of the fish coming out did average around that size. Havnt managed to get a pic of the fly yet but hopefully i'll get it up for you guys soon, in the mean time here is a pick of the smallest fish i got as well as the two biggest.

rod+reel+water = chilled

nice pics wes and well done...were you fishing by the runway?

the rolling white water

Mmmm.....I think this explains some of the difficulty I was having. I fished, or tried to fish, the part of the river next to the airfield, continued downstream around the "bend" for about 300 meters. Nowhere was there any white water. When I was there the stream was flowing very gently. All the water was so clear, the viz so good, that the fish were literally staring you in the face, and they were scattering everywhere at the slightest movement. What I did notice, was that the stream gained size and flow even in that small stretch as one moved downstream. When I left Navarone, I paid atention on the road which ran close to the river on several places, and noticed that about 3-5 km downstream it was much bigger, becoming close to being an actual "river" with some white water here and there. This looked a hell of a lot more fishable to me. Deeper pools, more "white water". A much better chance of not spooking the fish.

Is this where you fished? Or did you fish the same stretch as me, but the water was a bit higher?

thanks saflyfish. Vicus and saflyfish i was staying a few km up the road at drakensberg gardens the last time, so mainly fished the river there from below the caravan park up toward the cycle/adventure park (or whatever they call it), the river retains the exact same characteristics as the stretch by the air field narrow, crystal clear and generally less than knee deep. I did get a day pass for naverone and fished the stretch from the air strip up and managed to pull a few fish. When i say ''white water'' i literally mean running shallow over the rocks (a bad explaination on my part, sorry) i'll try find a pic of some of the water i was fishing (sure ive got one somewhere). I have never fished that far downstream of the air strip (only a few hundred metres) i would usually start from the air strip and work up stream, but from the road it does look like some very fishable water.
    rod+reel+water = chilled

Quote Originally Posted by Wesd View Post
    thanks saflyfish. Vicus and saflyfish i was staying a few km up the road at drakensberg gardens the last time, so mainly fished the river there from below the caravan park up toward the cycle/adventure park (or whatever they call it), the river retains the exact same characteristics as the stretch by the air field narrow, crystal clear and generally less than knee deep. I did get a day pass for naverone and fished the stretch from the air strip up and managed to pull a few fish. When i say ''white water'' i literally mean running shallow over the rocks (a bad explaination on my part, sorry) i'll try find a pic of some of the water i was fishing (sure ive got one somewhere). I have never fished that far downstream of the air strip (only a few hundred metres) i would usually start from the air strip and work up stream, but from the road it does look like some very fishable water.
    Wow, ok, then you have licked a tough stretch of fishing, well done.

hey gents
    a few years back i fished a section of river a few kms down river from navarone. the place i stayed was called the orchard valley. this section of river had it all, deep pools, nice small glides, narrow but deep stream, wide and flat (similar to navarones waters) and at some places with over hanging trees near the waters edge with some nice boulders to hide behind. have caught rainbows close to twenty inches and the usual small ones. i dont think you need permission from the land owners because the road leading to the river feeds a few properties, best to make sure and ask the tackle shop in town, they sell licenses and should know the owners

just finished a step by step on that fly for you guys, hope it makes sense.
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...284#post246284
    rod+reel+water = chilled

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345