Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: River fishing at Navarone

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default River fishing at Navarone

Hi

The wife and I are heading to Lake Navarone end of April (28th April,29th,30th,1st May). I have never fished in the Drakenberg before.

I read on their website that there are two dams. I have found some report-backs and discussions regarding fishing these dams. But nowhere do I find any discussion or report-back on the fishing of the 7km of river they say is available. Only described as "teeming with wild rainbows, providing some of the best angling of its type in South Africa".

Also, they say: "The section of the Mlambonja River immediately upstream of our eastern boundary has been improved with stone weirs to retain more holding water for trout. These fish tend to be small, (mostly under 30cm), but they are superb fighters. Light tackle and fine tippets are advised."

Having done a fair share of still-water fishing, I am more interested in the river fishing. River fishing has something special about it that I just enjoy more. So I would like some information/report-backs on the river fishing available at this venue.

Has anyone fished the river at Navarone? Any impressions, reports or advice would be welcome.

I have not done the river, but the still water have HUGE fish in it.
    Not plenty, overstocked, but hard rewarding fishing for big fish
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I have not done the river, but the still water have HUGE fish in it.
    Not plenty, overstocked, but hard rewarding fishing for big fish
    Thanks for the feedback. I will certainly spend a good portion of my time fishing the dams. Catching big fish is certainly exiting. But I still would love some good river fishing mixed in.

There is something special about drifting a fly into a pool, through the rapids entering it, that is just very exiting to me. I don't mind all that much that the fish will be smaller...anyone ?

My *** parents own Naverone, and I've fished it since I was about 3 or 4 years old, and its where I started flyfishing and did most of my flyfishing till my early teens before moving on to saltwater and a lot of other venues... I fished there at least once a month from when I was a little kiddie till I left school and moved overseas...

The river system is pretty awesome on Naverone, and the Mlambonja in particular is a very pretty piece of water, albeit a "micro creek" of sorts... both rivers are very susceptible to rainfalls though so during summer can get blown out pretty easily... you are going to be there during April which is a much more stable rainfall time, and should offer great fishing on the streams...
    There are a lot of smaller fish on the streams, and they can be great fun on both dries and nymphs... I've always started on dries and progressed to nymphs as the day wears on if no action...
    I've not fished there a lot over the last 10 years though, but always did well on simple high riding dries like DDD's and such...

There is a horse riding trail that runs alongside the full length of the stream, which makes access very easy as well, and is a lovely stretch to walk if you need to take family along... its also a beautiful stretch to have a picnic alongside, so you can set the family up somewhere alongside one of the pools, and then walk downstream and fish back up to them, or upstream and then walk back down...

Overall its a great venue, and I really wish I lived closer so I could get back there more often.... you'll have a great time..
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    My *** parents own Naverone, and I've fished it since I was about 3 or 4 years old, and its where I started flyfishing and did most of my flyfishing till my early teens before moving on to saltwater and a lot of other venues... I fished there at least once a month from when I was a little kiddie till I left school and moved overseas...

The river system is pretty awesome on Naverone, and the Mlambonja in particular is a very pretty piece of water, albeit a "micro creek" of sorts... both rivers are very susceptible to rainfalls though so during summer can get blown out pretty easily... you are going to be there during April which is a much more stable rainfall time, and should offer great fishing on the streams...
    There are a lot of smaller fish on the streams, and they can be great fun on both dries and nymphs... I've always started on dries and progressed to nymphs as the day wears on if no action...
    I've not fished there a lot over the last 10 years though, but always did well on simple high riding dries like DDD's and such...

There is a horse riding trail that runs alongside the full length of the stream, which makes access very easy as well, and is a lovely stretch to walk if you need to take family along... its also a beautiful stretch to have a picnic alongside, so you can set the family up somewhere alongside one of the pools, and then walk downstream and fish back up to them, or upstream and then walk back down...

Overall its a great venue, and I really wish I lived closer so I could get back there more often.... you'll have a great time..
    Thanks ! Exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for. So, barring heavy rain the river section will fish well. That is great news. Now counting the days and hours....

Quote Originally Posted by Vicus View Post
    Thanks ! Exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for. So, barring heavy rain the river section will fish well. That is great news. Now counting the days and hours....
    I'll be up that way next week, and plan to spend some time on the river. I'll post some feedback once I get back
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Thanks Graham for the update... U mention castleburn but I thought u were fishing naverone.. Please tell us your method and flies used for fishing snails under an indicator.. Thanks

Ja, I'm at Castleburn. The snails I fish look something like a sunken beetle - a thin strip of black opencell foam over mottled green/brown marabou. I've found them very effective here and at Highmoor. I fish them under a small nymph (for weight) about 1.3m under an indicator along the drop off. Either static (if there's a light breeze) or with a very slow retrieve. Takes are ferocious and I've definitely noticed that I tend to get bigger fish with this technique.

The past 3 evenings I've noticed fish smashing into the minnows in the shallows and channels. A BFG or muddler on an intermediate line with a fast retrieve gets hit very hard. Huge fun!

Graham, hows it going bud?

Intrigued with this snail fly of yours. Could you take a pic and post for us?
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Hey Brian. It looks something like this. When it's wet it looks very snail-like
    Stock_5BIjiR.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast