Thread: Tilapia on fly?

Default Tilapia on fly?

Hi guys/girls
    I have just got into this fly fishing thing recently and it has got a hold of me in a huge way after my last session.
    I was just wondering if anybody has had any success targeting tilapia on fly? We used to get them on white artificial grubs with light tackle coffee grinders way back when. - an incredibly strong fish!

Hallo Warren,

I had some good success using small shrimp patterns. Especially when they spawn, dragging them in the vicinity of the nest they charge the fly and the take is very quick.

Thanks for confirmation/reply

That's perfect thank you. Will try and fit a session in in the near future.

I fish for them often. I like to use midges and a light rod for bite detection. Simply something red for big blues and other species something small with orange beads. I like a 3wt for bite detection. Basically they eat almost any fly just put it in the right place. When breading they take a fly well and move further to eat it but otherwise most of their bites are soft, but every venue is different. With the small midges and nymphs they are inclined to hold onto it a little longer. Some days the fishing can be very hard and others days you can catch 100. Depends on the size you want?

Definitely and they are good fun, small hotspot PTN 18 and smaller is my favorite fly for them, and like said can be dead easy on the day, but also very difficult.HPIM0125a.jpg
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

I have had great fun targeting schooling bream and catching them on DDD's, especially on light tackle...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    I have had great fun targeting schooling bream and catching them on DDD's, especially on light tackle...
    You been poaching at Canal Walk again Shammers my bru?
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    You been poaching at Canal Walk again Shammers my bru?
    Jassas! Nepps, there are lunker bream here...luuuunker...like I said, if I had my tree constume on, I would fish the canal all the time!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)