Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Czech nymphing rods vs standard fly rod lengths

Default Czech nymphing rods vs standard fly rod lengths

I have always fished standard length trout rods up to 9ft.I see czech nymphing has become extremely popular over the past few years.Do the guys using the 10ft+ nymph rods outfish the guys throwing 7-9ft rods?

I never cared much to conform to what guys said,but when it comes to nymphing i really found value in a 10ft rod.Not for quantity of the catch,but useability.

It is not about "outfishing" as Corefly said, it is all convenience and practical use.
    You reach further, keep more line of the water etc. You will notice, with dry fly, a longer rod is also more advantages, less mending, reach over more water, so you dont have to worry about fly line dragging etc.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

The answer is probably not. Its very much personal choice though and dependent on the river you are fishing...

Agree with John though. Don't go and buy the brand everyone else is buying and fish the way everyone else is fishing. Try out a few styles, rod, etc. and see what floats your boat!

Personally, for bigger rivers like the Vaal I would not fish anything less than a 9ft, but a 10ft just makes your life so much easier. But i know guys that hate fishing a 10ft...
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    I have always fished standard length trout rods up to 9ft.I see czech nymphing has become extremely popular over the past few years.Do the guys using the 10ft+ nymph rods outfish the guys throwing 7-9ft rods?
    Yes you definitely out fish your partner if your rod is 1ft longer. That extra 1ft accounts for 3 more fish per session every time. If you use the textured line in combination with the 1ft longer rod your catch rate might even improve to 4 more fish per session. And finally, if your leader is 15ft instead of 12ft you might find times when your friend wont even catch fish at all.

It has to be the triple textured line though.
    Gerrit Viljoen

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Yes you definitely out fish your partner if your rod is 1ft longer. That extra 1ft accounts for 3 more fish per session every time. If you use the textured line in combination with the 1ft longer rod your catch rate might even improve to 4 more fish per session. And finally, if your leader is 15ft instead of 12ft you might find times when your friend wont even catch fish at all.
    The reason he wont be catching any fish is because he will be helping you untangle your line every 2 minutes!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

You forgot the Orange and gold beads, you must have Orange and Gold beads on your tippet, otherwise not fish.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    You forgot the Orange and gold beads, you must have Orange and Gold beads on your tippet, otherwise not fish.
    Orange AND Gold, flip, been using Orange OR Gold
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

bwahahahahaha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast