Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streamers for Smallmouth

1. Default Streamers for Smallmouth

It's a well-known fact that when trout get to a certain size they HAVE to turn to eating much more than just a couple of mayfly and caddis a day. They turn to smaller fish, and this is where fishing large streamers can get you that trophy trout where mayfly and caddis patterns might not get a glance at all.

So, the question is ... Do smallmouth yellows also get to a stage where they start eating smaller fish? I know they do eat crabs, which is a pretty nutritious bite, but there are some pretty hefty smallmouth around, and I was wondering about people throwing streamers at them, and if not why not etc.

Hoping to learn a bit about SM, thanks.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I know that Klaas and Chris vdP catch smallmouth on baitfish patterns regularly when fishing for Largies. The artlure guys specifically target smallmouth on Salmo Hornets (like a Rapala) in a yellow colour.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    It's a well-known fact that when trout get to a certain size they HAVE to turn to eating much more than just a couple of mayfly and caddis a day. They turn to smaller fish, and this is where fishing large streamers can get you that trophy trout where mayfly and caddis patterns might not get a glance at all.

So, the question is ... Do smallmouth yellows also get to a stage where they start eating smaller fish? I know they do eat crabs, which is a pretty nutritious bite, but there are some pretty hefty smallmouth around, and I was wondering about people throwing streamers at them, and if not why not etc.

Hoping to learn a bit about SM, thanks.
    Just love your interest in the mighty gold fish email gerus!!!!
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 10-03-14 at 10:14 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

While visiting Chris and Klaas in the Winter trying for LM, I landed a big SM on a 9cm streamer.
    At first, I thought, this is a decent largie, only when coming close to landing time, did I see it was a SM.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    Just love your interest in the mighty gold fish email gerus!!!!
    Gerrit, as die nuwe vis wetgewing deur kom, sal hy nie meer stokke kan maak vir forrelle nie, dan sal hy moet stokke en nette bou vir SM visse.
    So hy cover net al die bases. (GRAPPIE)
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I have sometimes caught smallmouth on streamers while targeting largies.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    While visiting Chris and Klaas in the Winter trying for LM, I landed a big SM on a 9cm streamer.
    At first, I thought, this is a decent largie, only when coming close to landing time, did I see it was a SM.
    I have caught the odd biggish (by EC standards) on some large dragonfly imitations, but have n ever targeted them with REALLY large streamers. My question is still, does anyone know if they chow smaller fish/baitfish when they reach a larger size?

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Gerrit, as die nuwe vis wetgewing deur kom, sal hy nie meer stokke kan maak vir forrelle nie, dan sal hy moet stokke en nette bou vir SM visse.
    So hy cover net al die bases. (GRAPPIE)
    Nee mens kry mos geelvis blanks ook ;-)
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

SM definitely do become more "predatory" with size but I still think their opportunistic nature wins out. I have caught SM on streamer targeting LM and on half chicken targeting barbel, so with size they do become more lets say up for a bigger bite but I still think they are pretty opportunistic of nature.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Yes, Im pretty sure that they would eat small fish. I have also seen them scavenging on a barbel carcass. I think smallmouth will basically eat anything that comes close. Same for largemouth, I have seem some really big largies caught by accident on size 14 and 16 flies, while Czech nymphing for smallmouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    I have caught the odd biggish (by EC standards) on some large dragonfly imitations, but have n ever targeted them with REALLY large streamers. My question is still, does anyone know if they chow smaller fish/baitfish when they reach a larger size?

Nee mens kry mos geelvis blanks ook ;-)
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pieterkriel View Post
    SM definitely do become more "predatory" with size but I still think their opportunistic nature wins out. I have caught SM on streamer targeting LM and on half chicken targeting barbel, so with size they do become more lets say up for a bigger bite but I still think they are pretty opportunistic of nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Yes, Im pretty sure that they would eat small fish. I have also seen them scavenging on a barbel carcass. I think smallmouth will basically eat anything that comes close. Same for largemouth, I have seem some really big largies caught by accident on size 14 and 16 flies, while Czech nymphing for smallmouth.
    Thanks guys. Just been wondering about throwing large streamers to target large smallmouth, rather than hoping for that opportunistic moment. Was just thinking out loud.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast