Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: help regarding line wt

I find the very fast rods are meant to cast far and accurate,the good ones that is.By lining them a line weight heavier you are slowing it down,what for???You bought the rod to be fast.Yes the extra weight helps at the shorter distances where the fast action is not at its best because there is usuallly too little line out to load it and the extra weight line helps doing this.
    If you dont intend casting far,or lifting long lines off the water for single long recasts then a fast action is not the right rod for the job.Med/med fast would be a better all round rod.A fast action i find casts way better at a full line with the designated line weight,contrary to what many of the reviews say.getting the first half of line out is the hardest bit and makes it feel the line is not working with the rod,but get to the sweet spot and its a breeze.

I pretty much agree.... fast rods are designed to cast further with less effort, but are usually more difficult, or rather, more technical to cast. A poor caster, is not really going to get the benefit of a fast rod, forgive me Jasper, but fast rods are for people who know how to cast, and by overlining it, it turns the rod into a slower action rod, thus making it more forgiving, and therefore easier to cast. Simplistically speaking, fast rods are stiffer, but not always, as the rods action works all the way down the blank, and depending on how much line is aerialised, depends on weather the tip, middle or butt section of the rod is being brought into action.but, if anyone is struggling to cast a fast rod, perhaps a solution is to try overlining it. The Sage 99, is designed to throw multiple heavy flies and to effectively handle long line mending, as is required for steehead river fishing, hence the very strong middle action. to fish lighter flies for trout Stillwater, it needs to be over lined, as it just does not work as well with a matched line and light flies.
    Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    I find the very fast rods are meant to cast far and accurate,the good ones that is.By lining them a line weight heavier you are slowing it down,what for???You bought the rod to be fast.Yes the extra weight helps at the shorter distances where the fast action is not at its best because there is usuallly too little line out to load it and the extra weight line helps doing this.
    If you dont intend casting far,or lifting long lines off the water for single long recasts then a fast action is not the right rod for the job.Med/med fast would be a better all round rod.A fast action i find casts way better at a full line with the designated line weight,contrary to what many of the reviews say.getting the first half of line out is the hardest bit and makes it feel the line is not working with the rod,but get to the sweet spot and its a breeze.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2