Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Do we want any new people on the forum

Default Do we want any new people on the forum

As a recent new guy on the forum, I must say that this forum is not new person friendly at all. I am sure the goal of a forum like this to get more people involved. But some people just always tend to belittle and demotivate new guys. Yes they ask stupid questions and say stupid things, thats why they are on here - to learn.

There is something wrong with you if you have to prove your vast amount of fly fishing knowledge by belittling new guys every chance you get.

My second rant is that you do not have to be an ass about every detail in a photo. I dont post any photos on here anymore just because it seems impossible for so many people on the forum to just say, nice fish congrats.

Most of the time someone is being laughed at for how he holds the rod, or scolded for how he holds the fish. If you chase people away by being nasty there is no opportunity to educate them or learn from their experiences.

I must concur with your statement Yella , I have been on some bass forum for quite a while and must say that the reception to a newbie is very different .
    even when it comes to the welcome of new members.
    Im not saying that you have to be crazy about new guys , just a hello and welcome or a reply would do.

Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post
    My second rant is that you do not have to be an ass about every detail in a photo. I dont post any photos on here anymore just because it seems impossible for so many people on the forum to just say, nice fish congrats.

Most of the time someone is being laughed at for how he holds the rod, or scolded for how he holds the fish. If you chase people away by being nasty there is no opportunity to educate them or learn from their experiences.
    And we wonder why Fly Fishing is regarded as a hobbie for elitist snobs? Far to many idiots on this forum who have an opinion about everything, I have been on here for a long time and decent content has taken a massive dive over the last couple years. You can't say anything on here without some fool thinking he knows better.....
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Most new guys are encouraged to "introduce yourself" to the forum etc. Some see it as bad manners to just jump in and ask away. Smallstreams.com has a nice little thing (they ran PhpBB2) where new members could only "see" the rest of the site after 5 posts ... that worked quite well imho.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    I have been on here for a long time and decent content has taken a massive dive over the last couple years. Y
    That is a natural phase in most forums ... unless you have the new guys coming up with content, the older guys have shared all their stuff already
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    That is a natural phase in most forums ... unless you have the new guys coming up with content, the older guys have shared all their stuff already
    Agreed, however I do think it is difficult for new guys to come up with content because of the way some of the older guys respond. That's my Monday rant over
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

You should see the Drake Fly Fishing Forum! We are puppies compared to that lot! :biggrin:

Jokes aside - couldn't agree with you more - we could probably be a bit more welcoming. The forum is a bit of a mature one where most questions have been asked and answered and fought about many times, so i think some guys do get frustrated and have a go for a bit of a laugh - not saying it's right but that is what happens.

If you want to have a laugh though, go check out that Drake forum to see how new people are treated if they ask questions or show pictures of fish without following the correct procedure - it is actually quite funny! They even have a "newbie read this before posting" post that tells all the newbies what they must and must not do in order to not get berated, and if they don't follow that, the guys on that forum really lay into them no matter how friendly the newbie is!!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Look , im new on this forum and did the introduction part ect , my 2 c would be that the 5 post thing would be quite a handy one as you do get the odd person who would join just to get the info they want and not share.

Like I said before I am a recent convert to the fly-fishing addiction , by that i mean less than 2 months ago that I was introduced . I have found many posts helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Most new guys are encouraged to "introduce yourself" to the forum etc. Some see it as bad manners to just jump in and ask away. Smallstreams.com has a nice little thing (they ran PhpBB2) where new members could only "see" the rest of the site after 5 posts ... that worked quite well imho.
    Or just say politely to a new guy please introduce yourself. Thats how it works on other forums I have been involved in.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast