Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Do we want any new people on the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Saloon 2000 View Post
    I think the problem is that:

1) Everybody has made peace with the fact that the authorities are hell bent on killing all the trout in South Africa.
    2) Not a lot of information on carp fly fishing, so no use for new members to join.
    3) It only takes two posts to know everything there is about catching yellowfish and therefore no need to stay longer as a member.
    4) Newbies become pro's in 2 seasons - and guides in 3.
    5) The last 2 flyswops stretched over a 13 month period from forum post to parcel.
    6) The older members have become, well, older, and grumpier.
    7) Serious lack of good manners - like saying "thank you".
    8) Uncalibrated scales.
    9) Fake Buff's has made it affordable for every fly fisherman to look like a p1ssed off Iraqi.
    10) Access to archived information.
    11) Fragile personalities.
    12) Lack of imagination.
    Best post I've read in ages... laughed my ass off... hats off to you sir...
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Why doesn't Korrie post a crab pattern?
    Hy is nog besig om die sbs te type.

Bhwaa haa haa haa
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Andre;244193[B
    ]Flytalk is also about keeping in touch with old mates, and finding new ones.[/B] Some of us old guys also get roasted often enough, so its not worth worrying about. I have learned to say what I want to say, and if there is anyone who doesn't like it, well, that's just tough. So, if there a question, ask away, and be ready for whatever comes.
    Damn , I Blame Flytalk for meeting you, Korrie, Rols, Sir Nick, and so many more other fine gentlemen that I would not have enough time to mention them all, as well as too much money spent on trips where we join together, every now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    I agree with that André.

Best thing for new members to to jump right in. Lurkers are more frowned upon that total newcomers?? Am I right?
    A lurker who never contributes anything is equivalent to a tick. They just suck the best out of the host.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Agree... if you look how some of us old guys throw our egos at each other, the new guys have nothing to worry about. When Korrie and Darryl start throwing handbags around, it becomes fun. Remember the old days with Michael, Chris Shelton, and a few others, and how there were almost bullets flying?... man , I miss those days. I agree that the forum has become far to boring. Most guys are scared to say anything controversial, but if everyone had to just un clench their butt cheeks for a few minutes, it could just become a whole lot more fun. Perhaps we should nominate an "anything goes day" once a month, no moderators allowed.....
    There is no fun left, I got smacked for having a go at a "Newbie" who had been lurking for 5 years, and his first post was "HOW, WITH WHAT and WHEN "

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    YES Andre .... and while we are on the topic of us old-timers - who in here remembers the shirt I am wearing in my photo? (FlyTalk shirt in a nasty shade of blue!!)
    Boet, that shirt should be framed, along with your camo jocks, 'cos they should NEVER be seen together again. There again, before the "INSTANT GRATIFICATION " days, us old timers, actually supported the forum by buying shirts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Why doesn't Korrie post a crab pattern?
    Simple , he got rid of his and now has nothing to copy.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

I just reacted to a post on the fedex thread, and then stumbled upon this thread. Read the whole thing. Don't worry, I will lighten up. Btw, how many posts, years, pics, or whatever till you lose newbie status?
    catch and release

Agree... if you look how some of us old guys throw our egos at each other, the new guys have nothing to worry about. When Korrie and Darryl start throwing handbags around, it becomes fun. Remember the old days with Michael, Chris Shelton, and a few others, and how there were almost bullets flying?...
    Talking of the old days, what has happened to Chris?
    He used to put up some interesting stuff -

If he's still around get him to drop me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saloon 2000 View Post
    I think the problem is that:

1) Everybody has made peace with the fact that the authorities are hell bent on killing all the trout in South Africa.
    2) Not a lot of information on carp fly fishing, so no use for new members to join.
    3) It only takes two posts to know everything there is about catching yellowfish and therefore no need to stay longer as a member.
    4) Newbies become pro's in 2 seasons - and guides in 3.
    5) The last 2 flyswops stretched over a 13 month period from forum post to parcel.
    6) The older members have become, well, older, and grumpier.
    7) Serious lack of good manners - like saying "thank you".
    8) Uncalibrated scales.
    9) Fake Buff's has made it affordable for every fly fisherman to look like a p1ssed off Iraqi.
    10) Access to archived information.
    11) Fragile personalities.
    12) Lack of imagination.
    13) every second @sshole with an ego bigger than a pinprick, thinks he's a moderator
    14) the real moderators have their heads so far up their own @sses, that they wear oxygen masks... we know who you are:biggrin: (ok, not all of them)
    15) not enough hugging between members (Grant... that ones for you)
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
    I just reacted to a post on the fedex thread, and then stumbled upon this thread. Read the whole thing. Don't worry, I will lighten up. Btw, how many posts, years, pics, or whatever till you lose newbie status?
    Hi Paul - it's all about status - when you get to Steelhead status you are no longer a Newby :biggrin: (unless you are Mike, in which case you are always one).
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

15) not enough hugging between members (Grant... that ones for you)
    Too right Andre - where is the love?
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

xxxx......you big cuddly bear:biggrin:
    Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Too right Andre - where is the love?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast