Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CPS "New" Rules for booking

Default CPS "New" Rules for booking

So what's the deal with the story about people throwing their toys out the cot cos of a "new" rule in the CPS booking that you can only have 2 people on a beat?

I remember Jean telling me this many years ago as Cape Nature wants to manage the amount of people in the valley. I had tried to book for myself and two other people. Maybe I am the only honest person to ever actually try put down more than two names?
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

No Grant- you were the only stoopid guy who didn't book for 2 and then fish three...:wink:
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Well i didnt say i tried to book for 3 again! :wink:
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Well i didnt say i tried to book for 3 again! :wink:
    Notice the silence. . . . .
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

I think its an old rule. I remember years ago when I was on the committee, it was a rule. People who wanted to fish more than two on a beat, were encouraged to book two beats. Its not the number of people per beat per se, but more the restrictions on the number of people in the valley, which was a restriction imposed by Cape Nature. It was easier to control, by limiting the number of people per beat, rather than closing certain beats once the limit of human footfall was reached.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Yeah exactly Andre - Thats why i cant understand why everyone is so upset.

The fishing twice a weekend is DEFINITELY NOT a new rule.

When i was doing the bookings for WP trials fishermen a good few years ago (and i booked for every pair) i would have to try to call after 14h00 (it was 14h00 at that stage) on a friday to see if there were any beats still available for guys who wanted to fish two trials on a weekend. Jean pretty much answered the phone "Hi Grant" if it rang at about 14h05. Since then, the rule seemed to have been relaxed, but now is back. It came into effect while i was still on the CPS committee, so i would guess around 2008/2009.

wrt the 2 people per beat - i said nothing of whether it was fair or not, just that it is not new so not sure why everyone is so upset. Probably because the CPS have been as lenient as the mountain club have in the recent past so no one actually knew about the rule. If i were CPS i would adhere to rules asked of them by those that allow them onto their property to fish, otherwise maybe the CPS wont be allowed to use that water in future. the other groups using the valley may not stick to that rule, but in the end it could be to their detriment, and it is very childish to say "well if they are not sticking to the rules why should we?" because that is just asking for trouble. It is not a case that CNC is more lenient to the mountain club than to CPS - its just that CNC never check, but if they do what then? It is up to the CPS to ensure that their members abide by the rules of the properties they enter, and not what other groups do. In my mind i think we should be saying well done to the CPS for this for trying to ensure that we can continue to fish on those waters in the future.

The latest, what I hear, is you get a friend to book a beat, for him, then your friend phones you on Saturday or Sunday and says "I cant go anymore, do you want my beat?"
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Unfortunately there will always be people who regard themselves as being above a clubs rules. If a rule does not suit them they will think of "special ways" to justify their selfish behaviour.

It really does not take a genius to bypass rules, it does however require a k*k attitude and a complete disregard for others

I agree.. but in all fairness to the members, sometimes the CPS isn't very good in communicating the rules. Very few people read the news letter, and hardly anyone comes to the AGM. As far as giving your beat to someone else, this is highly against the rules, and for good reason, which most members don't understand. It basically is for safety in the mountains. If the CPS cant give the correct names to Cape nature, how will they know who is in need of help if there is a fire or something? If there is a car in the parking lot, and the registration number doesn't match the list that is given to the emergency services from the beat bookings, it could potentially be a problem. Hence the details that need to be submitted with the bookings. Hikers also have to give car reg numbers and the number of people on the hike, so if there does need to be an evacuation, they know how many "feet" are in the mountain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Bence View Post
    Unfortunately there will always be people who regard themselves as being above a clubs rules. If a rule does not suit them they will think of "special ways" to justify their selfish behaviour.

It really does not take a genius to bypass rules, it does however require a k*k attitude and a complete disregard for others
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast