Thread: Sparkle Holographic Window Film

Wiets Banned User

Default Sparkle Holographic Window Film

Has anybody ever tried Sparkle Holographic Window Film in fly tying? This material is available in big rolls of 500 mm x 17 meters and also 1500 mm x 17 meters- the cost of this is about R230.00 & R470.00 per roll respectively. I have no clue on the thickness of the material. Although it must be sliced into this strips like your typical flash (a big job if done by hand), it sure beats the price pants down on what they charge in the fly shops. For the same money, you will end up with hundreds of your typical flash packets compared to 10 or 20 packets purchased in the fy fishing shops.

The one on the left is called "Mini Sparkle" and with "Crystal Ice" on the right.

Last edited by Wiets; 02-06-07 at 01:40 AM.

put it through a paper shredder for quick flash strips....
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

I can't keep up with you guys.....I'm still battling telling Rols about grouse hackles....but seriously, great innovative stuff, that's what it's all about!

Wiets where will you find this material? Looks very interesting.
    Cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    Wiets where will you find this material? Looks very interesting.
    Cheers
    Hi Roland

It is available from a UK company. I have written them an email about the thickness of this material and whether they are willing to sell it to me.

Hi guys, I'v used similar stuff sold as wrapping paper at gift shops, "GAME" "Cardies"and "CNA" should sell it.
    It should work out alot cheaper too.

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Elizevh View Post
    Hi guys, I'v used similar stuff sold as wrapping paper at gift shops, "GAME" "Cardies"and "CNA" should sell it.
    I also had a good look at the papers you mention, only problem is water penetration into the actual paper - unless the paper you mention is indeed not paper but made from a plastic or mylar. The sparkle holographic window film is a see through holographic plastic film and water should not have any effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizevh View Post
    The gift wrap i mentioned is a Foil, not paper, I doubt it'll absorb anything.

If you want cheap flash material, go to a bridal shop, buy "sparkle organza", it comes in different thread sizes and colours.

Strip the threads from the material....

Works like a bomb for ribbing and you can even dub an entire body with it in a loop.

I got something a lot like that. Got it at a arts and crafts store. About a A4 sheet.

Also got little rolls of glitter tape - almost like selotape\insulation tape - you get it in different color's. I have blue\silver\gold\green\red and bronze. You buy it at the Crazy store, costs about R7 for a whole pack.

Works very nicely for crease flies - Stick it on the foam, but you have to epoxy over it. Otherwise it will come off.

Cheers

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.