Thread: Little Troutbeck 29-30 March 2014

Default Little Troutbeck 29-30 March 2014

Hi guys, been quiet a while sorry for that. Wedding blues and such....anyway....so we decided to go to Trout Beck on Saturday to say thanks to the in laws for wedding and so on....also to spend our first weekend together as a new oficcial family. Due to work commitments my wife and clean pappie had work on Saturday so we only got a late start at around 2pm. We took the short dirt road route via schoemanskloof with the road being slightly bumpy but still managable by normal car, nothing to compare to what it was the weekend of 10-12 March when we were there but thats a report for a different time.

We got to Calidje cottage at the bottom part of the farm property at around 4pm. Unpacked quickly and headed off to the bottom dam known as Stephens Reach. Immediately there were fish rising all over. Upon close inspection I noticed thousands of small little winged gogas on the surface. I am sure it was sort of a flying ant. Anyway my heavy got into a healthy fish of around a kilo on his second cast. I got a miss and then nothing much further happened. Walked back to a hearty fire, (this cottage is solar and gas operated so everything is very raw although super cozy) had a nice braai and went to bed.

The next morning we got up around 04:30am to wake up properly and to do some last minute research. I went through the guest book a little and tried to judging by the dates look at what worked during this time of the year on what dams. Still I stuck true to my still water damsel as this fly always produces in dullies still waters when fishing is a tuffy. Started off at stephens reach as the sun made it's appearance with not much action. Saw a fish swirling, cast...boom...on dat....enjoyed the fight but the fish seemed to have none of this and spat the hook. This carried on for about 30mins and I could now see my heavy was becoming frustrated. Decided to make the call and started heading up towards maggie se water. As i wanted to make my cast my heavy said no, what about that big dam up top? I then informed him that this was the famous Loch logan. My nemisis on the 2 other times I have been there. Started on the jeti on the dam wall....wind wrong direction making where I wanted to cast difficult. Went further down the wall around the dam wall and made a few casts...saw fish swirling in the top corner just out of casting reach.

On my 4th or so cast the wind blew my fly line over a clump of weeds. Being affraid of getting hung up saw me pull back rapidly.....as my fly made contact with the plant all hell broke lose as a monster virtually took out the innocent little grass patch to try get my fly....there was salad floating all over the spot. A few more casts and nothing. Decided to move back to the little boat house and saw the one oomie taking out the boat (it looked a bit dodgy so glad he did the floating test instead of me), he spent about 20minutes or so on the boat before he came out. While I noticed a rise every now and again...just outside casting distance again.

Having gotten really tired of this blanking on Logan i decided to brave the little boat...but wait...oh dear...I have never fished for trout on a boat before or fished such a large body of water for trout...where do i start? Do I look for weedbeds, dropoffs....channels in between weedbeds? Rocks? Reeds...so I remembered uncle John telling me the fish on the farm go where the wind is blowing all the food. At that time to the corner where I first noticed the activity. Fishing a long 18ft leader for the first time with the faithfull damsel. First cast...let it sink hoping to get to the botom, the oar of the boat was in the way, so rod in between legs scratching around what felt like i was standing a 25lt plastic container....thud thud thus line jumping....drop the oar...pressure....nothing....hhhmmmm what was that I wondered to myself not getting my hopes up due to my experience on Logan.

Re-cast onto the same spot, sink...wait...strip...pause....WHAM....nice fight...fish of about 1.5kg. Next cast same spot....WHAM...fish on...great fight....2.1kg...3rd cast...a hard THUD and a screaming reel....stripping line at what felt like 100km/h...I thought here she is....the mamma....not to be...a shade smaller than the previous fish...un believable...poor heavy on the side getting tired now and wanting to fetch his float tube, decided to head on down back to the cottage for a brunch....at and got back to the water, heavy with his float tube. Me on the boat again....going to my old spot....only this time the wind was PUMPING towards the bottom of the dam with waves growing bigger the further they went down.

My spot was fruitless....so logic said to me....Emjay, if you got fish while applying the wind blown direction why wont it work now? So ancor came up...wind she come....took me down to the bottom where I felt the structure to the right made more little cavities and at the water feeding portion in the one cove I saw a scumline just sitting there... It didnt take long for me to realize that this would and will for a very long time still be the best days fishing of my life. After i worked out the pattern a slaughter started. EVERY single cast in the area of that cove produced either a strike or a take or a fish or a lost fish....eventually the wind starting pumping from my back and right hand side making the position and area I was fishing difficult to present anything other than a damsel into me, my back or arms...

I lifted the ancor and did a quick ro about 15-20m further down the reeds till I was at such a angle that I could literally cast into that cove. Fish, fish fish, it ended up with fish rising all around me from as close as 3m. The summary of the fish, had 3 fatalities...feel really crappy about that, 4 lost fish, I giant that virtually spooled me and after about a 6min fight or so it just l parted with my tipped where it joins the leader. RE TIE GUYS!!!! Another monster took somewhere, stripping line at an alarming rate. Fish just lets go with the fly casually. So as for fish caught....wait for it....19 fish over 2kg's (including my new pb of 2.9kg), 15 fish over 1.5kg and various other smallish fish of around 800-1kg. My fore arm is so sore today its not even funny. It truly was the most epic day of my life.

Funny observation...not one brown trout fell to a net....not one cock fish came a net...all were females? We then eventually head off back to the cottage...heavy very dikbed as he watched the on slaught. This truly is the best day of my life while fishing. When all just fits together in peace and harmony. We packed up and headed off to the cuty life once again. I dont know what happened but it was breath taking and fights were epic. Gpx texture burnet the crap out my finger....but well worth the pain. Will loch see me again? Definately....it can't possibly any better than a day likw that. Cheers guys catch you on the next 2 trip reports as i have added to more trips.
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

sorry for any typos in advance guys...will edit in the morning...fell asleep behind my phone twice already....
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

Its all lies without photos!

Just kidding emjay, sounds like loads of fun. If it was the 7wt gpx that burned your finger I feel that i contributed!

lol tiaan that boat was really dodge hey, didnt want to take excessive rods and tackle or phones and car keys as such....I have the witnesses though hahahahahahahaha...all in all an epic day that I wont ever forget in my whole life....

p.s I wish it was your line....this one was a new 5wt textured GPX that still had pukka texture to it...if the wind was milder I might have seen smoke hahahahahahahahaha.....