Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thx to Korrie for this MONSTER Yellowfish

Default Thx to Korrie for this MONSTER Yellowfish

I had an awesome trip last weekend with Korrie Broos, we went off-shore with Dave Christie's Two Ocean sport-fishing charter on Saturday catching 100 lb and 150 lb Yellowfin tuna as well as a hand full of Long fin tuna. We caught these fish on spinning gear while I threw my 14 wt every time we hooked up with a tuna but we couldn't get the fish to come up to take a fly.

SA-Tuna.jpg

The next day we went for Clanwilliams Yellowfish. We fished hard all day with a couple break offs but no luck sticking fish until about 20 minutes left before departure I hooked into a monster Yellowfish. It made a couple strong runs, after about a 10 minute fight I landed this beauty:

Clanwilliams-Yellowfish.jpg

I want to thank Korrie Broos for showing me an incredibl time in South Africa. Korrie, you really made my trip a special one, thanks again and hopefully when you come to Colorado I will put you on a 36" Native Cutthroat Trout!

Hi Nick
    I am glad I could show you a tiny bit of SA. Glad that you had a stunning time.

The Clanwilliam Yellow he caught was an absolute BEAUT!!!!
    To put the size into perspective, Nick is about 6"4 in the old terms, with shoulders as wide as a barn door.
    I estimate this fish to be 9 pounds plus.
    We fished the whole day, with both of us snapping off 2 or 3 times during the day on big fish. When this beaut took the fly, he was as soft and gentle as a father with a newborn baby. I ran over to him and video taped the fight.
    At first I gave him a lot of lip about pussyfooting around on 3x etc, not knowing the size. But when I saw the fish the first time thru the lens. I changed my tune. the dubbed version will probably sound like this " WOW, beep beep beep, it is beep huge. Don't loose this beep beauty. oh my beep beep beep. Beep you are so beep beep lucky with that beep fish" Looking forward to the 36' cuttthroat.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

HAHAH! Yes the footage is quite entertaining ... lots of beeps will needed to be added in post production indeed ...

Nick that sounds like one hell of a weekend! Congrats on that Clanwilliam. I am sure many of our forum members are very jealous, including myself :tongue:

Lets hope that you are going to share the uncensored version of the video Korrie is talking about!
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Nick touched briefly on how hectic this weekend was.
    I picked him up at 05:20 on Saturday morning.
    we drove to Houtbay and got the boat ready and went out.
    Now, Nick is a maker of documentaries.
    He was shooting footage the whole day, with cameras and a squadron of GOPROS on the boat, and under the water of fish and birds.
    When we did dock at Houtbay, he did a full interview with Dave Christie.
    We managed to leave Houtbay harbour at 19:15.
    We went back to his ship to get the rest of the photo equipment and fresh water rods.
    I phone my other half at home to make some salad and get ready for fresh tuna shashimi and pan sheared tuna.
    Got home did the eating thing and raided the kitchen cupboards for food the next day.
    We managed to leave home after 21:00 for another 3 hour neck breaking journey into the Sederberge.
    We got there about 00:20 on Sunday.
    Nick then mounted his time lapse camera and equipment for a shot of the stars.
    We managed to enjoy a bottle of KWV Cabernet doing this till about 01:30
    The next morning we got up, had breakfast, more photos and capturing the surrounding beauty.
    We fished right thru the day. stopping for a lunch at about 16:00 on Sunday, with a cut off time of 18:00
    as we still had to pack up and some more shoots etc.
    he managed to land this BEAUTY at 17:40.

By the time we finished all the documentary stuff, packed everything away etc it was approaching 20:00
    with another 3 hour drive back to Cape Town. before I could drop him off at his ship.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by Ko7Ad View Post
    N

Lets hope that you are going to share the uncensored version of the video Korrie is talking about!
    NICK
    PLEASE DONT SHARE THE UNCENSORED VERSION!!!!!!!
    we did a little playback on the camera screen.
    I did not realise, I spoke apart from, Afrikaans and English, a third language so well.
    Last edited by Korrie; 03-04-14 at 12:30 PM.
    Korrie Broos

Congrats Nick... a lot of us who live here have not experienced anything close to the action you had in two days.... Good on ya Korrie for helping make it happen...

And I gotta say that Yellow is an absolute beast... what an epic trophy fish...

Glad you got to experience an amazing time, albeit a very brief one while you were in our amazing part of the world! Looking forward to seeing the final footage...
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    NICK
    PLEASE DONT SHARE THE UNCENSORED VERSION!!!!!!!
    we did a little playback on the camera screen.
    I did not realise, I spoke apart from, Afrikaans and English, a third language so well.
    Korrie the more secretive you make it the more interested we become :biggrin:

Nick, do you have any timelines fixed for your production? When can we expect a preview/trailer?
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

jeesh, lovely yellow. Well done!
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Nick touched briefly on how hectic this weekend was.
    I picked him up at 05:20 on Saturday morning.
    we drove to Houtbay and got the boat ready and went out.
    Now, Nick is a maker of documentaries.
    He was shooting footage the whole day, with cameras and a squadron of GOPROS on the boat, and under the water of fish and birds.
    When we did dock at Houtbay, he did a full interview with Dave Christie.
    We managed to leave Houtbay harbour at 19:15.
    We went back to his ship to get the rest of the photo equipment and fresh water rods.
    I phone my other half at home to make some salad and get ready for fresh tuna shashimi and pan sheared tuna.
    Got home did the eating thing and raided the kitchen cupboards for food the next day.
    We managed to leave home after 21:00 for another 3 hour neck breaking journey into the Sederberge.
    We got there about 00:20 on Sunday.
    Nick then mounted his time lapse camera and equipment for a shot of the stars.
    We managed to enjoy a bottle of KWV Cabernet doing this till about 01:30
    The next morning we got up, had breakfast, more photos and capturing the surrounding beauty.
    We fished right thru the day. stopping for a lunch at about 16:00 on Sunday, with a cut off time of 18:00
    as we still had to pack up and some more shoots etc.
    he managed to land this BEAUTY at 17:40.

By the time we finished all the documentary stuff, packed everything away etc it was approaching 20:00
    with another 3 hour drive back to Cape Town. before I could drop him off at his ship.
    Jeez Korrie, that don't sound hectic, it sounds like the most perfect weekend! and the fish also were on the bite! great stuff and a real beaut of a yellow!

If you hooked onto a 100kg Yellowfin on fly you could have missed out on your fishing altogether on the Sunday.

Great catches!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast