Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beaverlac - Any Advice & Tips

Default Beaverlac - Any Advice & Tips

Hey guys,

Hope y'all can help me with some advice or assistance...

I'm heading up to Beaverlac this weekend for 3 days for a mates 30th... should be a lekker weekend of camping, chilling, drinking a few beers, swimming in the pools etc... but of course its also an opportunity for me to get some fishing in up that part of the world, something I've not had the chance to do before as I've always been there for work or other things....

So, anyone with any experience or advice on what my options are in that part of the world? I'm not shy to go trekking to find fish either, so keen to hear any options that may be on hand... I'm keen to chase anything that swims up that way, not only the Yellowfish that I've heard rumours are to be found up there.... taking the 00#, 3# and 5# options with....

Would appreciate anyones advice or feedback...

Many Thanks
    Dre
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

From Beaverlac, you need to walk upstream for a couple of hours before the real fishing starts. Speak to the mangaer of the camp site , he will advise you, but it can be tricky if you don't know where the private land is, and you inadvertently wander onto it. Theres been some friction between landowners in the Beaverlac area due to people from the campsite wandering onto their land. If it clannies yellows that you want to go for, its a great place to find them. Theres also some mediochre fishing about 20 minutes downstream walk.
    Just for your information, Beaverlac isn't what it used to be. Its high density camping, and they allow all sorts of noisy things like boom boxes, generators, dogs, etc , so if its quiet chilling you want, away from the crowds.... you wont find it there. I think maybe thay have electricity there now, so generators might not be a problem.Also... unfortunately, lock up your stuff is you are going to be away from the tent, as there have been thefts of things from peoples tents and cars.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hi Andre,

Thanks for the feedback, will definitely chat to the manager then and see what they have to say and advise...
    I'm there for 3 days so will try do both upstream and downstream options... would love a shot at one of the Clans in the system...

Thanks for the heads up on the state of Beaverlac... not sure when last you were there but they have tightened their systems again it seems.. you have to apply in advance for permission to camp, and have to fill in their whole questionnaire etc and only after they have given you written consent, which they send you, and you then have to produce on arrival, will they let you in... they strictly state no boom boxes or music of any sorts etc so we'll see... I am stoked they allow dogs though, cause I'm taking mine!! :-)
    Not really looking for peace and quiet to be honest... its a mates 30th, so we might be the noisy ones... but will definitely enjoy the solitude up and down the river away from everyone else... cause me and the missus are the only ones fishing...

Appreciate the heads up on security though, thats really unfortunate to hear.... will pack a few extra locks along with us!

Cheers
    Dre

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Yes, its been a while, and they certainly needed to fix the place up, so Im glad they have taken measures. Its one of the prettiest public campsites in the Cedaberg, so well worth looking after the ambiance. Last time I was there, the loud music was a real problem, so nice they don't allow them. Enjoy, theres good fish to be caught.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Andre

It's about an hour's walk to get to the Olifants. When you get to the river don't even stop to look at the beautiful water or rig a rod but start heading upstream for at least another two hours - sometimes it's faster in the river and at other times on the bank. After two hours you can stop, rig a rod and start looking for Clanwilliams.

I fish a clear Intermediate, only cast at sighted fish and the top flies are either a streamer with no flash or, if they spook when they see that, a Girdle Bug with orange rubber legs.

It's worth the walk :-)

Enjoy!!!
    MC

Thanks MC,

I guess I should make sure I pack my big boy pants and some extra energy bars then!!

Swinging past Platon's this evening to raid his extensive fly boxes for some flies....

Hopefully I get to make that walk and find some fish...

Cheers for the input gents!

Dre

Oh right, I have fished the Olifants, much closer down, and wondered why I struggled, got a few bass, and only really got a clannie after walking and fishing upstream and walking for half the morning anyway, so what you say makes perfect sense. I amyway prefer to camp at Gecko Creek, and take the vehicle to the Olifants, and fish from where we park. Had some success in doing it like that, and besides, I much prefer Gecko Creek to Beaverlac
    Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Andre

It's about an hour's walk to get to the Olifants. When you get to the river don't even stop to look at the beautiful water or rig a rod but start heading upstream for at least another two hours - sometimes it's faster in the river and at other times on the bank. After two hours you can stop, rig a rod and start looking for Clanwilliams.

I fish a clear Intermediate, only cast at sighted fish and the top flies are either a streamer with no flash or, if they spook when they see that, a Girdle Bug with orange rubber legs.

Enjoy!!!
    MC

Gecko Greek looks like a great spot.
    WIll have to try it out sooner than later.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Andre

Enjoy!!!
    MC
    I did this trip a few years ago, regrettably before I knew what MC mentioned above. I'd add the following to MC's post.
    1. Start walking early as it's going to be HOT and it's 5km is the river. (Mountain bikes can be used on the road.)
    2. Watch out for snakes on the gravel road especially in the evening on the way back..
    3. Once you get near the river don't take any shortcuts down the slopes. (you will regret it.) Follow the road till the end.
    4. **Follow MC's advice**
    5. On the way back to Beaverlac along the road, make sure your feet are dry before you start walking to avoid blisters. The skin on your soles will be soft from being immersed in water most of the day. I had one blister on each foot but it covered the whole foot.
    6. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate..........

No. of clans caught = 0
    No. of SM Bass = 939 million 3000 and 60000.
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 10-04-14 at 09:03 PM.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLiteBeer View Post
    No. of SM Bass = 939 million 3000 and 60000.
    Buzzie! That made my day...bwhaa haa haa haaaa....I am going to be saying that number in a JZ accent the whole day...soooo...you are to blame for me irritating my colleagues here!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast