Thread: Flies for blacktail and other rock spieces

Default Flies for blacktail and other rock spieces

Does anyone have pictures or ideas of flies for black tail, zebras etc.

Although I haven't fished salt on fly for a few years now, I used to have pretty good success with pink and also clear crazy charlies for blacktail. Hope that helps some..

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltybugger View Post
    Although I haven't fished salt on fly for a few years now, I used to have pretty good success with pink and also clear crazy charlies for blacktail. Hope that helps some..
    I've had similar experiences. Small, very sparsely tied Charlies in either white, pink or clear. Chuck them into the white water.
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Thanks for the advice guys will ty some and put them to the test .

I found a article by Steve Starling (the guy that fished with Rex Hunt on his shows) about fishing for bream. I just thought some of his flies may spark some ideas for you as these are not for blacktail specifically.

http://starlofishing.me/2014/02/13/catch-bream-on-fly/
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

The RUFFY should suffice here, these fish love redbait!! ROOIAAS as we know it, my 2cents
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Hi,
    There was a nice article by Conrad Botes in the Complete Flyfisherman a while ago about catching blacktail. They used relatively large (read medium) flies. Last month I was at Cape Vidal and as I could not get to the deeper water I decided to target the smaller fish. The first 2 hours I caught 1 fish. I then decided to switch to really small flies. Only then I started catching plenty. I ended up with 10 stone bream (up to 31 cm), 1 sand steenbras, 36 small wave Garrick (up to 35 cm) and 10 black tail (up to 20 cm). Most of these were caught on size 10 and 8 "salty buggers" - I normally tie them on Gamakatsu SC15 (I also use the #10 for my mullet flies - they look different). A white rabbit fur tail (normally no flash or 1 single strand of flash per side), slender body of white UV Ice dub(?) and chartreuse bead. Sometimes normal brass or black beads; sometimes tungsten beads which gives a nice jerky swimming motion. I normally fish two flies about 40 cm apart (not New Zealand style). If I expect larger fish, I fish a small clouser, Charlie or whatever with the small fly behind. I caught all the fish in very shallow water: from 25 - 200 cm, but most in less than 100 cm. Try it and you will be amazed at how much fun you can have on a light rod. I prefer pushing tide. I still want to test the above fly against Conrad's flies at the same venue and same time. There is a challenge for you Conrad!

If you look carefully you can see the fly I refer to at this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dnvt3ci5ju...2013.15.51.jpg
    (Double click link; or cut and paste if necessary into your browser) Nice stone bream:biggrin:

regards
    Niel Malan
    Last edited by Niel Malan; 12-05-14 at 04:29 PM.

Lovely report, good going
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.