Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is there a common/popular rod length & weight for cape streams?

Default Is there a common/popular rod length & weight for cape streams?

I was wondering what AFTMA rods (eg 1wt,2wt,3wt etc) & rod lengths are most fished on Cape Streams?

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Over the years the general trend has seen anglers moving more towards 3wts where previously 2wts prefailed. This was simply because in the 3wt the angler still had the advantage of light presentation, but the rod could handle wind a little better. With respect to rod lengths, now, there is a definite migration from rods in the 7'6-8ft range to longer rods in the 9-10ft range for obvious reasons. The use of longer rods is definitely a trend among a subset of anglers (on the forefront of new and developing techniques), whereas the 7'6-8ft rods are still the bread and butter stick for the average angler.

For rod lenghts remember the following
    8 is great.
    9 is fine
    10 is the perfect number.

as for the weight of the rod, as Stanton mentioned, a #2 is good for some fishing, but a #3 gives you so much more options.
    if the wind is tough, a 3 is better, if the water is higher, you can fish heavier nymphs much easier.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Depends where I fish in the cape. I like to use my 10ft 2wt on the Smalblaar for picking pocket water and nymphing, for SB6 I like to use my 6ft 2wt Hardy or my 2wt SPL to combat the bushiness and going up the EP, I like to either use the 2wt SPL or the 0wt TXL. I actually don't own a 3wt, but I cant remember a time on the Cape streams where I thought that I would have preferred a 3wt over my 2wt.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Just a different question following on this thread, does no-one fish 4Wts?

I have been reading a bit on the threads and different topics and it seams to me that a 4 Wt seems to be a lost cause.

Is it a case of too "heavy" for Streams and too weak for stillwater and therefore no-one uses it??

Anycase sorry for the Hijack, was reading the Yellowstone 4Wt Shootout for 2012 and was just being curious

Cheers
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

a couple of years ago, the standard rod for the Cape was a #5.
    So, you can go with a 4 for the streams, no problem.
    But it is too light for still waters.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I currently use a 4wt, but as the rod is rated a 3/4 I am not actually sure whether I am fishing a 3Wt and simply overloading it with a 4Wt line or whether it is a slow 4.

Doesn't matter anyway, can cast the thing and it does get me fish so I am happy

I would however think that the stiffer and more top of the range 4Wts(Something Like a Hardy Zenith - man can dream) would serve a purpose on Fishing a big stillwater from a floattube?

Cheers
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

I have a 4wt SP, and I use it a lot. Its a great wt for certain things. I use it for small stream yellowfish, stillwater trout and bashing some bass. I could definitely use it on the Cape streams, but I have other rods which suite the application better. I don't like to use it on a trophy stillwaters, it just doesn't have the same pulling power, especially from a tube, but its great to use on smaller water with smaller fish. It also presents beautifully on rivers where you can fish dry fly for bigger fish. I guess it is kind of an in between rod, I guess I probably wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't at a great price, and the fact that I love the action of the older Sage models.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Stick to 3wts a for streams and 5/6 wts for Stillwater and you will be good.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1 Compact using Tapatalk.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    I was wondering what AFTMA rods (eg 1wt,2wt,3wt etc) & rod lengths are most fished on Cape Streams?
    depending on which river or section of river I am fishing, I fish either a 10ft, 9ft or 7'10" all in 3wt. I also occasionally fish my 9'9" 5wt, especially if I expect a strong headwind.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast