Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9wt Rod advice please...

I used explorer extensively for my barbel fishing mostly due to the good price and very very good service i get and the fact that i dont want to rough it with a 5k rod for barbel.
    I have 2 classic 9wt rods and now the new t50.
    I have broke the classic second section on two places will pulling on a 15kg barbel.part replaced in 3 days for R200
    Either than that,no issues.
    The T50 is a machine.I can honestly say i abuse the crap out of the poor rod and its flawless.But it comes at a higher premium,be it still less than most other good brands.The backup i get from explorer is good enough for me to stay with the brand,even if I have issues.
    The horizon brand is really starting to come up now and they are very nice rods
    I most often fish St.croix and its the most underated brand out there.only problem is they are too getting too expensive.

I wanted to try them out as well but they don't make it in 10ft I think so it's a no go...
    Gerrit Viljoen

The thing is you I get too little time to fish as is. Even though the Xplorer rods are cheap and they have good service I don't want to lose a few possible days on the water due to a rod falling apart. I'd rather pay more and be sure that the thing holds up.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

I have been using an Explorer guide series rod 9wt as a light saltwater and heavy tiger stick for a while and it has lasted me around 9 years with no problems. Few weeks ago got some nice size tail with it off the point and still impressed with it!

Redington predator is also a good bet . Bit more pricy than local rods but I bit cheaper than some others ..... Extremely fast rod with decent finishes

For under R2 500.00, you should be able to pick up an 8 or 9wt Sage TCR second hand. In the ultra fast rods you are looking for, probably a very good bet, and an awesome rod. A couple of the rods mentioned here in the thread, are not as fast as you would like, if you are looking of something... as you say " the faster the better"
    Quote Originally Posted by Russdlh View Post
    Redington predator is also a good bet . Bit more pricy than local rods but I bit cheaper than some others ..... Extremely fast rod with decent finishes
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123