Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Horizon Rod - Stillwater

Ulrich

I fish a TRS Horizon 5wt ( i think its the TRS ), I inherited it from my Dad when he passed away, and its been an absolutely superb rod... its matched with a Shilton CK3 I think, and is a magical outfit, and its done everything I've asked of it, and more ( Including catching Carp to 8 kilos, Tarpon to 15 kilos and numerous good quality Bass and such ) .. Granted I'd not recommend chasing 15 kilo Tarpon on it, as I was horribly under gunned, but I landed numerous fish to that size...and its by no means a heavy rod.. lovely light weapon, casts beautifully, and I would certainly not hesitate to recommend them to anyone...

Yes I've got Sage's and what nots too, but the Horizon fits my 5wt needs perfectly, and I have no desire to replace or "upgrade" it...

Another plus is the service from Frontier if you do happen to break a section... I did, and R 350 later a new section was delivered to my office the next day here in Cape Town...I broke the tip section on a Monday, and was fishing on wednesday evening again...Can't beat that.. You have to break ALOT of rod sections to make up the difference between the price of a Horizon, and a Sage/Hardy/G.Loomis rod with a "No questions asked" warranty.... those warranties ain't worth all that much often, as you looking at a 6 week or more turn around time, plus postage fees sometimes, and in some cases you are still going to need to chip in for the section...

So.... if you can afford the other brands, sure you could find a "better" rod... but for the price, and if you looking to not break the bunch completely, the Horizon TRS gets 5 stars in my book...

*Disclaimer - I'm no stillwater expert, or stream expert, or any sort of expert for that matter, I'm just a regular flyfisherman, so my advice and whatever is just that.. regular advice... a lot of okes here have far more experience etc, but I've been swinging a fly rod for 30 years, so I'm not a complete muppet!!
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info, got a good diverse bunch of replies to take to the drawing board.

Cheers and enjoy the day off tmrw.
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

ok see float tube different story....you sitting low on the water so the extra foot helps a bit with casting.....if you go the 9' route then you wont have to adapt anything....they gererate much higher line speeds....my 9' rods just suit my style better than 10' rods but this might be different for you.....my 10l rods seem to collapse under fast hauls....they dont like to be forced and the blank collapses to much in the cast....the rod needs to do the work and you would learn to slow down your stroke....

In 5wt they also dont seem to gain anything close range on still waters as mine seems to be worse than my fast actioned 5wt rods....although I am very new to this I am still a tackle junly of note and have today officially baught my 11th 5wt rod in the last three months....go to a shop and try them out...that will save on school fees....also when someone allows you to try various rods chances are they will be able to point out any casting faults when trying the rods...listen to them and let them help determine which style of rod suits you best....

All of us are different.....rods I have used so far and that I have really taken to...only the top rods I will have in my 5wt 9' collection

Gloomis NRX LP (I swear this rod takes your line where it needs to go without you even trying, just win the lotto before getting a quote)
    Hardy Zenith (awesome rod, fast and likes to be ridden hard)
    Sage XP (old rod but the most perfect rod action I have ever fished with)
    Horizon XRS (my first decent rod, at the price nothing compares)
    TFO TICRX (just a brute machine of a rod that likes to be manhandled and it seems to try and break the sound barrier with the line on every cast)
    Sage Method (brute rod, but felt a bit lifeless...its the rolse royce version of the TICRX)
    Sage TCX (ont know how to describe it....wonderfull action to me....not as ''stiff''' but there a funny way how the blank loads that really works well for me and the color is to die for)

but then again some of those rods are super expensive and others arent....but they all are quite fast....I will still start try getting the hang of the 3wts after my 5wt graze has been settled and I am happy with what I have....I have a odd way of doing things so dont let what I said effect your choice in any way....choose for yourself what you like....go and cast them....try borrowing friends rods etc and spend time on the water....you can say just after one outing what works for you and what doesnt....we are new to this and learning every step of the way...not one set of conditions are the same every time you go there....for all you know a 6wt might sit you better than a 5wt....

Rods I am dying to try :

Sage One
    Gloomis GLX
    TfO BVK
    TFO Axiom
    TFO TICR (in 4wt)
    Hardy Artisan

Next rod....a Mario special....but with a Gloomis NRX LP blank in 9' 5wt....he just asked me no bass like lasers and LED's on it please loooool

5wt rod I was dissapointed with the most....eeerrrmm....crusify me for saying this but probably my one 5wt TFO Jim Teeny....heavy and a slouch...not well put together...don't know how else to put it....
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

Sjoe, this thread exploded quickly...

Firstly, the Horizon XRS is a great choice for a still water stick. Strong, fast, light enough to cast all day, rugged enough to be miss treated on a kickboat or on the back of a van.

Secondly, Upstream will manage any Horizon warranty. FFF (Frontier Fly Fishing) sends packages to them weekly, sometime more often. If you need a Horizon spare, they can get it for you almost as quickly as it can be shipped to you.

Thirdly, on this longer rod for still waters. Competitive Anglers have rules they need to abide by, these rules do not apply to kickboat fishing. A 9 foot 5w, is more suited to the application.

Finally, have you seen the new Horizon Troutstalker kickboat, designed by the FFF team to be the best boat they have ever fished from. There's one to look at, at Upstream. Brilliant value...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by emjaysmit View Post
    ok see float tube different story....you sitting low on the water so the extra foot helps a bit with casting...
    Make no difference at all in a tube - I fish a 9 and 10ft rod side by side in my tube all the time. The only difference is the 10ft fatigues your wrist a lot sooner...

The whole point of a tube is that you don't need to punch out long casts all day
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Now that makes sense Graham..never tried fishing out a float tube with a 10 footer...that is just th excuse I always seem to find or the marketing jargon from companies pushing there 10' offerings....I know it must have a purpose but personally they are just to heavy for me in general and they just dont seem to ''chuck it like it's hard'' hahahahahaha
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

I have the a few of the Horizon XRS rods (3 piece and 4 piece versions if I remember correctly). I love the 5wt 9ft! A pleasure to cast and can easily fish all day! Landed some great fish, the best being a 4.5kg tiger on the Pongola River. Lots of backbone! Frontier service is really good too! Great range of rods!

Wife has a Stealth Bomber in same size and also a very nice rod! Nice to cast and good pulling power to!

I fish mainly still waters and the Vaal and my go-to rod is a Horizon XRS 9' 5wt 4. A few years ago I bought a Stealth Infinity 10' 5wt but I have never grown attached to it and hardly use anymore (except when fishing two rods simultaneously off my kick boat). For me the Horizon is a much more enjoyable rod (perhaps the 10' doesn't suit my casting style, who knows).

From experience I can say that after sales service for both Stealth and Horizon rods is great.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123