Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Brainer UV Shrimp

Thumbs up No Brainer UV Shrimp

I thought I'd post some of my flies again.

I've been experimenting with Shrimps for many years and managed to come up with some great versions. TNBUS is however the final winner.

The "no" comes from mono and the "brainer" from braid. I also feel it's an quite appropriate name for this Shrimp fly as it would be my obvious choice in fly when fishing vegetation lies for any fish hanging around hyacinth,reeds et all and fish are feeding on Shrimps!! This fly consists of 3 essential materials to achieve the final look and appearance:

- Braided loop: Tail, legs and underbody but also a bit of translucency.
    - 57lb Monofilament: The mono is inserted into the braided loop(the ones you put on the end of your fly line or you can just buy a spool of braid) and tied on top of the shank. It adds a bit of bulk, durability but also the very much needed translucency.
    - UV resin: Translucency (Bug Bond, Hydro Cure Goo & UV Knot) The UV knot is for the "eye version" that I tie but not needed to fool fish.

Recipe:

Hook: Gamakatsu B10s #4
    Thread: White 210 denier. This is used to cover the lead wraps and to create a taper.
    Weight: 20x 0,020" / 11x 0,020" lead wire and yes you need to count your wraps otherwise your fly will look like shhhhhh!
    Tail / Underbody: Translucent braid & 57lb mono
    Legs: Translucent braid
    Marker: Light brown as Shrimps's tummies are almost always full of mud. You need to mark the fly before adding UV resin.
    Thread: Fine mono thread. The new braided loop (mono strand which was inserted into the original braided loop) is now tied in on top of the shank. Make additional wraps and cover the whole underbody. You can actually go fish the fly now as is the UV resin which is to come is just a final thin layer to complete the fly.
    Body: Bug bond / Hydro clear goo
    Weed guard: Optional / 57lb mono
    Hot head: UTC Orange 70 denier

* The fly rides upside down.
    * You'll notice there isn't any "segment" wraps or similar dunno who came up with segments for freshwater Shrimps THEY DON'T HAVE ANY FFS!

20131212_182326.jpg
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 15-05-14 at 08:56 AM.

Ja, hy lyk oraait wat
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Mooi man, netjies en eenvoudig !

Thanx manne!

Mario jy moet een tie dan gaan gooi jy hom vir daai spotted Bess. Die tegniek is eenvoudig; floating line, french leader en vark stertjie vir bite detection!

So how many carp have you landed on that fly?
    Great pattern. Thanks for sharing.

Netjies vliegie, kan sien hoekom die vissies hou van hom.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    So how many carp have you landed on that fly?
    Great pattern. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanx.

None, Yellows and Barbell plenty!

Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    Mario jy moet een tie dan gaan gooi jy hom vir daai spotted Bess. Die tegniek is eenvoudig; floating line, french leader en vark stertjie vir bite detection!
    Jy praat nou van klomp dinge bo my vuurmaakplek
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    Thanx.

None, Yellows and Barbell plenty!
    Very interesting. I like it.

I've had some inquiries about this fly so here is a better pic of a fly that has been munched a few times notice how dull it has become, no more shine!!! Those "2hand" flies are the absolute best I tell you. Unfortunately I'm not able to do a sbs at this point in time.

20140517_151648.jpg
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 17-05-14 at 03:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast