Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nymph Fishing Still Waters

Or the washing your clothes method....
    Gerrit Viljoen

Hey Graham

For me a natural nymph is just the natural coloured hare's ear nymph (browny grey)

if the fishing is really slow, i fish a small damsel (#14) or so, but like the guys have said above, depends on what's available for the fish.

when i fished Naverone over Easter, the fishing was slow and i managed a good bundle on those small damsels and small nymphs from the bank.

@Korrie - i enjoy fishing the floating with a side on wind from the bank. Use a very slow hand twist or very slow long strips to keep it touch. 90% of the time it's just a bit of extra weight on the line and suddenly you're on. Occasionally the line dips significantly on the take, but ya. Not as often as the subtle takes...
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Quote Originally Posted by gazzarowan View Post
    Hey Graham

For me a natural nymph is just the natural coloured hare's ear nymph (browny grey)

if the fishing is really slow, i fish a small damsel (#14) or so, but like the guys have said above, depends on what's available for the fish.

when i fished Naverone over Easter, the fishing was slow and i managed a good bundle on those small damsels and small nymphs from the bank.

@Korrie - i enjoy fishing the floating with a side on wind from the bank. Use a very slow hand twist or very slow long strips to keep it touch. 90% of the time it's just a bit of extra weight on the line and suddenly you're on. Occasionally the line dips significantly on the take, but ya. Not as often as the subtle takes...
    I've also noticed this.

OFTEN (stupidly) i put my rod down so i won't fiddle or cast too much.... I try wait for the 'take'... However on a recent trip I must have seen my line move due to a slightl take about 10 times, but by the time i got to the rod and lifted the fish was long gone - so the value on keeping in contact cannot be understated.
    I'll stay as long as i can fish. . .

Whenever the "club" for geniuses - MENSA - was mentioned, I always wondered if their was an opposite equivalent society for imbeciles. Now I know, it's called ANCYL.

[QUOTE=gazzarowan;24668

@Korrie - i enjoy fishing the floating with a side on wind from the bank. Use a very slow hand twist or very slow long strips to keep it touch. 90% of the time it's just a bit of extra weight on the line and suddenly you're on. Occasionally the line dips significantly on the take, but ya. Not as often as the subtle takes...[/QUOTE]

The problem with most guys, when there is a big loop, the very subtle takes are not detected with a large loop, as they guys eyes, are wandering all over the place. They can't see the indicator end of the line move 2 or 3 cm, and if they do see it, by the time the slack is taken up, the fish have all ready spat out the fly.
    a very slow intermediate line or slime line, is better, with a slow figure 8 retrieve. at least you are the whole time in contact, as the line will be just under the surface and dead straight, as the wind and waves will not affect it.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Awesome advice guys thanks

i see your point Korrie...something to play around with as well.

i enjoy the floating though personally - keeps the flies in the zone longer due to the drift, but management of the line is key.

with strong winds, int or slimeline is probably best best though
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123