Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wychwood Truefly 5Wt 9Ft / Echo Suppliers SA

Default Wychwood Truefly 5Wt 9Ft / Echo Suppliers SA

Hi Guys,

Following from my last thread in the Rod section on the Horizon Rods, I have been doing some more research on rods etc. for a proper stillwater set-up.

Have done a search on the Forum and could not really find any good recent information on the above.

Just wanted to know if anyone has fished extensively with this rod on stillwaters and how you found it?

Second question does anyone know who the suppliers of the Echo range of rods are in South Africa(If there are any), they seem to have a good range of rods with some decent people in the development teams and would like to feel one of these rods in hand.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

Don't stress about research on rods. Best to evaluate your fishing style, the water you want to fish, and once you know what it is that is going to suit your chosen method of still water fishing, then go and find a rod to match the requirement. Not all rods are the same, as you well know, and depending on what you want out of a rod, will influence your decision. A "proper still water setup" as you call it, is less dependent on the rod, but more dependent on the lines, and perhaps the length of the rod you choose. Also decide if your still water fishing is boat based, or tube based, as these could influence some of your decisions. If you are one of the guys that believes that Stillwater fly fishing is standing on a bank fishing into a stocked pond, then don't bother with too much research in any equipment, just buy the cheapest or the best that you can afford, and focus your research on the venues you will be fishing, and how the fish behave.
    Echo have some nice rods, but the warranty is nonexistant in this country, unless the dealer is prepared to pick up the warranty, and as far as I know, thereisnt a dealer who is prepared to do this. I hope im wrong, because they are nice rods.
    Last edited by Andre; 21-05-14 at 01:39 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hi Andre,

Thanks for the reply.

In terms of the stillwater set-up, my thought train is as follows:

I would ideally like to fish the larger stillwater in the Western Cape, namely Lakenvlei, so currently my plan is to get a Floattube, based on my previous discussions, I understand the 6Wt 10' rods is better suited for fishing from a boat and it does seems to tire people out a bit more over the day. So therefore the 9Ft 5Wt seems to be the better option in terms of casting the whole day , although I understand that the 6Wt has more variety available in terms of line Weights(?). I believe the heaviest Line weight available on the 5Wt(Di5 or DI3) should be fine for me in terms of covering the different water depths, it will just take me longer which is fine, would then also get an Intermediate line and use the 4Wt for Floating purposes for now as I do not want to be changing spools when needing to fish a floater if there is any surface action. Hoping the floattube gives me the mobility to position myself better to compensate for the shorter casting distance on the 4Wt.

The reason for all the research is simply because I kind of rushed into it when I bought my first set-up in November and only afterwards after I fished a bit did I realise the true scope of Flyfishing and the various options available. But so you learn, all part of the fun.

Thanks again for the advice.
    Cheers

Quite the opposite. Its the 9 footers that tire the guys out more, and its not from casting, but rather the energy expended by having to manage the long leaders and multiple flies required when fishing at Larkies. I would seriously consider a 10 fotter if I were you, but hey that's my choice, and definatly easier to fish wish. Remember that casting is only a fraction of the time actually spent fishing. Forget about buying a rod on its casting prowess. Buy a rod that is best going to suit the fishing. Trust me, it will cast, and if you struggle at first to cast it perfectly, persevere and learn, but focus on the fishing.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thanks again Andre.

You highlight quite a few things I did not consider.

Much appreciated.

Uli

My go-to rod for Lakenvlei is the Wychwood Truefly 5wt 10ft which I really enjoy. Feedback from guys that have bought them has been good.
    It's quite light and easy to cast all day. R2150.00

Wychwood has one of the few honest warranties in the business, if you break a piece, you pay a straight £25 fee, instead of charging for 'handling fees'.

If I have a spare rod in stock I will exchange the part for you (for the fee) so you dont need to wait for a part.

By the way, I dont have stock at present :-)
    Regards
    Craig

The Echo rods are great and I own a PE shadow and Carbon. Having said that the after sales service in SA is shocking. I have absolutely no idea why people would bring rods into the country if they have no desire at all to try and keep the customer happy.

Having said that, if you contact Echo directly they will go out of their way to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    The Echo rods are great and I own a PE shadow and Carbon. Having said that the after sales service in SA is shocking. I have absolutely no idea why people would bring rods into the country if they have no desire at all to try and keep the customer happy.

Having said that, if you contact Echo directly they will go out of their way to help you.
    This is n old thread, but I glad to point out that ECHO have new agents with a brilliantservice. Rods are available from fly shops such as StreamX or www.flyfishingshop.co.za
    Regards
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Uli@84 View Post
    Hi Guys,

Following from my last thread in the Rod section on the Horizon Rods, I have been doing some more research on rods etc. for a proper stillwater set-up.

Have done a search on the Forum and could not really find any good recent information on the above.

Just wanted to know if anyone has fished extensively with this rod on stillwaters and how you found it?

Second question does anyone know who the suppliers of the Echo range of rods are in South Africa(If there are any), they seem to have a good range of rods with some decent people in the development teams and would like to feel one of these rods in hand.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    The Echo agent in South Africa is Tourette Fishing, you can order the rods directly from them and they will give you good back up service. They have some good options currently, the Echo Base is amazing value for money

We have some of the Boost, Base, Shadow and Ions in stock. In terms of value for money, rod design expertise and backup service (these days very bad in SA when in comes to some brands), I believe these rods can not be beaten. Any prospective buyers are welcome to cast these rods before making a decision. Have a look at the site www.echoflyfishing.com, any of these rods on the website can be ordered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast